Battle Should I replace Comodo Internet Security Suite with Windows Defender?

Compare list
[LIST]
[*]COMODO Internet Security (free)
[*]Windows Defender (Windows 10)
[/LIST]
In-depth Comparison

kabigon

Thread author
Aug 24, 2019

I've been using the free version of COMODO Internet Security for years now on several of my own devices, but recently it has become more annoying to deal with. It is causing performance issues as well as some other problems.
With Comodo Internet Security, I have the features HIPS, Antivirus, 'VirusScope' and Firewall enabled. I don't need the features Auto-Containment and WebsiteFiltering which I have disabled.

I'm thinking about ditching Comodo and just using the native Windows Defender, hoping it will stop perfomance issues caused by Comodo.
Is Windows Defender good enough (assuming I don't download random fishy stuff and execute it)? Does Windows Defender have HIPS? Are there additional programs I should install when I ditch Comodo and replace it with WD?

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
If you go this route, you could add NVT OSArmor or Hard_Configurator as an effective sublayer. OSArmor will give you the essentials of what you get from Comodo HIPs without all of the difficulties you seem to be having.

BTW, I think personally that the brutishly simple approach of @cruelsister is the way to go with Comodo. You may, in the end, find too many issues with Comodo, anyway. However, @cruelsister's setup is possibly the best single security app that exists if you can tolerate the little issues with Internet Security Essentials and/or clunky alerts. Also, if you use Comodo Firewall like @cruelsister you can add a great a-v underneath and really have the best of all worlds or you can add NVT OSArmor to replace the HIPs which cruelsister turns off...

If you aren't aware of cruelsister, take a look around the Comodo board for more information. Her setup is notorious here at MalwareTips, and it is brutally effective from the security perspective...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.