should i try it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

raxa707

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
em planning to try out the bitdefender security for windows 8 on my pc but i m afraid that it would slow down my pc alot should i try it?
my current security rig

windows defender from win 8
win firewall
sandboxie
superantispyware etc

intel core 2 duo 2.8ghz
4gigz of ram

D

Deleted member 178

first you should remove Superantispyware, it is useless now since MBAM exists. BDIS should be ok on your computer , just try it.

raxa707

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
i have heard from alot of sources that it slows down the startup to a greater extent....... is that true?

D

Deleted member 178

in some , yes, in some other, not at all; every system is different, you just have to try it, if it does slow your system a lot , remove it.

D

Deleted member 178

no problem, it seems to be a basic advice but you will see, it is efficient :p

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
raxa707 said:
em planning to try out the bitdefender security for windows 8 on my pc but i m afraid that it would slow down my pc alot should i try it?
intel core 2 duo 2.8ghz
4gigz of ram
You have some decent specs,so it shouldn't slow you down.What other suites have you used and had a noticeable impact on your machine?

It the latest Av-Comparatives Performance Test in October 2012, Bitdefender got some decent results.

zX2DM.jpg

rhsTd.jpg

If you're looking for an extra-light suite,then ESET Smart Security and Avast Internet Security are your best bets.

raxa707

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks jack! Well i tried Eset smart security and it was really fast! Last time i had used Bitdefender 2012 on Windows 7, the startup was drastically slowed down.

rsinger23

Dec 16, 2012
You should try it. Doesn't affect computer performance, and with some tweaking it's very powerful. Like network intrusion is turned off by default, which I don't understand.

Not to mention it's one of the top rated security suites.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IDS is disabled by default because is some environments can cause False Positives. In this way, we leave this option to be enabled by the user to find the level of protection that needs for his machine.

Source : Christian from Bitdefender Support (Forum)

Hope that makes it clearer, remember not all systems / networks are alike, so the safe-option is off.

rsinger23 said:
Like network intrusion is turned off by default, which I don't understand.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
raxa707 said:
my current security rig

windows defender from win 8
win firewall
sandboxie
superantispyware etc
In my opinion, you are fine as you are now.

I wouldn't change nothing but I know how it feels when you have an urge to try something. If you feel like you have to try BD, then do it. I did, also tried Bull Guard.

I wanted to use either of those AV but unfortunately they didn't get along with Sandboxie. Bit Defender made pages sticky and opening and closing sandboxes was very slow. Bull Guard was even worst.

I don't use anything that interferes with SBIE. If you feel the same way, I recommend you look at something else or keep your setup as you have it now. Maybe BD its working better now with SBIE but I doubt it.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.