Should I uninstall ZA and get Comodo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongTimeUserZA

Thread author
Aug 15, 2015
I have used ZA for many years and I have been almost fully satisfied, with a few exceptions obviously. I love the feature where I can configure each application and give them access to the net or block them, and even prevent them from running. I guess this feature is called either "Advance Firewall" or "OS Monitoring". For me, this is the most important feature in a firewall. What I don't like is that sometimes it does not allow me to access my IP camera, and I cannot print to my network printer from my laptop, and obviously the cost :)

I must say that I have never needed to use the antivirus as long the "OS Monitoring" of ZA is working.

I also noticed that even I am able to access files in my computer after 30 seconds of booting, but it takes almost 3 minutes to have access to the internet. I wonder is ZA is the culprit.

Could somebody confirm that Comodo will give me this type of functionality, such as OS Monitoring?

H

hjlbx

I have used ZA for many years and I have been almost fully satisfied, with a few exceptions obviously. I love the feature where I can configure each application and give them access to the net or block them, and even prevent them from running. I guess this feature is called either "Advance Firewall" or "OS Monitoring". For me, this is the most important feature in a firewall. What I don't like is that sometimes it does not allow me to access my IP camera, and I cannot print to my network printer from my laptop, and obviously the cost :)

I must say that I have never needed to use the antivirus as long the "OS Monitoring" of ZA is working.

I also noticed that even I am able to access files in my computer after 30 seconds of booting, but it takes almost 3 minutes to have access to the internet. I wonder is ZA is the culprit.

Could somebody confirm that Comodo will give me this type of functionality, such as OS Monitoring?

You can do the same with either Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall - plus get a whole lot more functionality and flexibility.

However, be forwarned...

• There is a learning curve with both CIS\CFW - it is more complicated than ZA
  • Both CIS\CFW can be buggy depending upon OS, configuration and settings
  • My boot time takes about 1 min with CIS - which to me is no big deal but others think that amount of time is absolutely horrendous
  • On W10 numerous issues have been reported... the CIS\CFW W10 Hotfix was only recently released
All you can do is try CIS\CFW. If you decide it works for you, then there are users here at MT that will help you with the config and settings. There are guides and online videos written by both MT Staff members and users... so help is here at MT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex BK

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2015
I can confirm that ZA makes the boot-time longer. Some time ago I tried to install it on an older machine (1GB RAM, 2 GHz single core processor) and ZA almost "killed" my PC... Long boot-time and a MAJOR slowdown for my OS.

Hmmm... Comodo is a great piece of software if used correctly. It provides a lot of customization, but you need to know what to do before changing the settings. Comodo is recommended for advanced users, those who know what they are doing. Anyway, I would choose Comodo over ZA, ZA looks like it's going downhill. Once an amazing firewall, now a bad product.

Last edited:

LongTimeUserZA

Thread author
Aug 15, 2015
"You can do the same with either Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall" Thanks, I will try it on my laptop first. Hopefully I will be able to print wirelessly. Can you conform if it will be possible with Comodo?

"I can confirm that ZA makes the boot-time longer" I believe you're right. I have install ZA on many computers and noted the boot-time was longer.

Time ago I found some event warnings in my pc suggesting VMware might be the culprit for my slow network initial connection. I uninstall it, but the problem persisted. I guess my boot time is fast, but waiting for my pc to establish a connection to the router is disappointing. I am even thinking in reinstalling Windows since the last time I did was 4 years ago when I assembled this pc. I guess I will try Comodo before doing that since reinstalling Windows is time consuming.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
  • My boot time takes about 1 min with CIS - which to me is no big deal but others think that amount of time is absolutely horrendous
That's strange. Not happening on my system. You should report that.

H

hjlbx

That's strange. Not happening on my system. You should report that.

I have to finish out two bug reports with Comodo engineering then I am done bug reporting for Comodo. While I understand why they have reporting procedures, it is just way too much work: properly formatted bug report, attach config, attach files, then additional requested files\video by Moderators before they will pass it on to Quality Assurance, then QA requests the same items again...

Plus, my reports get filed away by the Moderators... which means all my work has been for nothing - a complete waste of my time.

If I decide to take up the beta\bug testing mantle again, then I will do it for Emsisoft - which is much more user friendly.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Plus, my reports get filed away by the Moderators... which means all my work has been for nothing - a complete waste of my time.
I'm guessing they don't have the time to do it because they're volunteers.

While I understand why they have reporting procedures, it is just way too much work: properly formatted bug report, attach config, attach files, then additional requested files\video by Moderators before they will pass it on to Quality Assurance, then QA requests the same items again...
Comodo was never good at interacting but you have to admit that they accept every kind of problem or suggestion that most vendors ignore. I'd say it's just a language barrier.

H

hjlbx

I'm guessing they don't have the time to do it because they're volunteers.

Comodo was never good at interacting but you have to admit that they accept every kind of problem or suggestion that most vendors ignore. I'd say it's just a language barrier.

I understand it structured for a lot of good reasons. For one, if it were not a structured process it would be utter chaos...

The volunteer Mods decide which bug reports get forwarded to Comodo. It's a weird arrangement made by Comodo since it does not want Comodo staff to manage the forum. What I am saying is that if a Mod doesn't like your bug report - for whatever reason(s) - it could get quashed.

I have not found the language barrier to be a problem.

To Melih's credit he takes malware by-passes of Comodo very seriously. Send him the sample and Comodo engineering is all over it - even remote sessions to figure out what is happening on the user's system. Even most dedicated Comodo users don't know that fact...

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I use comodo firewall and it works perfectly with low impact on system resources.
I used to use ZA but i found it wasnt as secure as comodo plus with comodo you get HIPS which is a good thing to have if you know how to use it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Way back I tried ZA which is purely simple, a true firewall without any enhanced components but we should consider the technology emerge so a complexity setup are the trend like Comodo.

Just make sure it doesn't sacrifice your productivity time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.