Advice Request Should I update my BIOS to prevent Spectre?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
It's unlikely, but do you think that a bios update would solve my laptop flickering problem? (separate thread here Troubleshoot - Laptop screen flickers on startup )
Most likely the hinge is broken. if you use right hand to open mostly the left hinge screw and plastic body has broken after constant lid open/close.
There is a chance that Intel driver might be faulty and use DDU to wipe them out and install the latest DCH driver.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

You can update the BIOS if you want, but if your system is running fine then you probably don't have to.

In terms of Spectre and Meltdown, I believe the reason as to why In-Spectre is showing your system as secure, even though you haven't updated the BIOS, is that Microsoft included fixes for these vulnerabilities through updates to W10 and such. So if your system is up to date, then you already have those patches built into Windows. I believe MS did this because they knew that most vendors PC's and hardware makers won't take the time to patch older systems/components, so MS decided to provide fixes for this issues though Windows update to cover all those who won't get a patch through their vendor.

So, I would say that if you have kept your system up to date and In-spectre says your are protected against these vulnerabilities, then I don't see the need to update your BIOS, unless you are having other issues with your system.;)(y)

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.