Advice Request Should I use a Exploit Protection Software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is exploit protection really needed?

• Yes

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very minimal cause many users are not going to the dark/deep web where exploits are prepared to attacl by any web surfers.

Usually common websites are already fixed by webmasters if exploits occurred.

Reactions: XhenEd

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Very minimal cause many users are not going to the dark/deep web where exploits are prepared to attack by any web surfers.

Not necessarily the dark web... bump in to one when I was using IE and was searching for chrome, Its always IE that there after. Another one was updating PotPlayer all 3 triggered a blocking MBAE, HMP.A, and AG. MBAE blocked the update while the 2 let the update thru but blocked certain elements it random updates.

Hehehe... no wonder your confused:D!
Umbra's Concept of Layered Config is the genuine article it meant to be a guide, what works for him may not be your cup of tea. BTW bumped to one of his blog 3 years ago used it as my guide that's why I ended up having SBIE and Appguard.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Not necessarily the dark web... bump in to one when I was using IE and was searching for chrome, Its always IE that there after. Another one was updating PotPlayer all 3 triggered a blocking MBAE, HMP.A, and AG. MBAE blocked the update while the 2 let the update thru but blocked certain elements it random updates.

Hehehe... no wonder your confused:D!
Umbra's Concept of Layered Config is the genuine article it meant to be a guide, what works for him may not be your cup of tea. BTW bumped to one of his blog 3 years ago used it as my guide that's why I ended up having SBIE and Appguard.

Yeah I trust @Umbra and some of the staff with suggestions in my config. That's a big reason why UAC is maxed and I have ZAM. I am just concerned that if I add MBAE or some sort of exploit protection it might make my system slower, unstable, or nbloated. Otherwise I configured Avast to also have really good HIPS and detection.

Reactions: XhenEd
D

Deleted member 178

Basically an anti-exploit is useful if:

- you have risky habits ( you like shady websites, are an happy clicker, open any attached files in emails, etc...)
- you like download install lot of unknown softwares.
- you don't use HIPS/BB/Anti-executables.

if you don't fall into one of this category , you won't need it.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Umbra Advanced users I agree, don't need an anti exploit.
As for the average user that can't gauge risk appropriately
I would recommend an anti exploit like MBAE.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Duotone: Well that is my part of view, cause honestly I've never encountered exploits in my life and even the people around where I can see no infections despite of outdated product.

But still a presumption where either on shady sites which mentioned which can also consider unknown dark web.

We cannot really now at all since exploits will happen everywhere. ;)

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
@Duotone: Well that is my part of view, cause honestly I've never encountered exploits in my life and even the people around where I can see no infections despite of outdated product.

But still a presumption where either on shady sites which mentioned which can also consider unknown dark web.

We cannot really now at all since exploits will happen everywhere. ;)

True it can happen everywhere never thought that searching for Chrome would give me a chance encountered. Just remembered the fear from exploit was the main reason I bought AppGuard.

I was happy when that happened cause I got a chance to test my software's:D

Reactions: jamescv7 and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.