Should i use a firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I migrated to 360 Total Security and i have some doubts right now..

Do you use a firewall together with this software? If you do, would you mind telling me which one?

I'm actually looking for something that won't slow down my PC (because that's basically why i migrated to Qihoo)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Sr. Normal

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I migrated to 360 Total Security and i have some doubts right now..

Do you use a firewall together with this software? If you do, would you mind telling me which one?

I'm actually looking for something that won't slow down my PC (because that's basically why i migrated to Qihoo)

Thanks in advance!
Hello Morvotron, The one firewall we've used, apart from Windows Firewall (with the exception of Kaspersky's during a trial period) has been Privatefirewall which was on XP, and it's still working even now!:)
All of the firewall suggestions you have to choose from on this thread I would use with confidence.;)
Whichever you go with, good luck!;D

PS I wanted to ask what the nature of your doubts with 360 TS have been.o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Sr. Normal

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
it will depend of what type of user you are, however i may tell you that if you are in your home all time and doesnt go out too often you my dear dont need a firewall as most of the modern routers (no modems) have a built in firewall or at least they use NAT (which is not a firewall itselft but it can be compared to one), but if you connect to public places you surely will need one.

I will talk about free stuff....

if you are an expert user and go to public places:

Comodo is the best option for you, despited the fact that most of the user complains about the buggy software it became recently is by far the best FREE sol you can find there... also please notice that if you set up properly you can get just a few notifications (and not thousands). I may say that comodo product is intended for everyone but i listed here as an expert option due the powerfull tool that it provides. It is just a complete fortress. BUT if you dont know what to do with their settings you will have a bad time XD.

PST: comodo itselft wont slow down your pc

if you are a middle user:

Private firewall is an excellent choice if you are a middle user with some knowledge of security, however this soft. can be considered as an expert choice, why? the answer is this one "only the developers know how to handle their settings xD" . There are 2 cons:

a) you will see a pop up from time to time asking about some stuff that you need to be careful ( i may suggest to turn off HIPS at all) but if you turn off some modules, you will see a window once a while
b) some times it may free (at least in windows 8.1) and this could be a problem because the GUI would just freeze for almost a minute

if you are a norma user (that doesnt care about security and doesnt mess around)

Zonealarm firewall will be an excelent choice, it wont ask you too much stuff, but there are some cons:

a) it may include some PUP bundled with their installer
b) in some modes it may not stealth ports correctly and may leave some open.

this is a firewall that covers the basics

Alzie

Level 1
Verified
Well-known
May 3, 2014
From windows 7 onwards the installed microsoft firewall behind a roughter should be ok with no slowdown like previous answer what are your reservations about 360 Total Security i am useingit it on old xp computer with 1 gb with private firewall works fine and fairly light

S

Sr. Normal

Recently I was like you, looking for a firewall to accompany Qihoo 360 TS

I tried Privatefirewall removing the HIPS function in the antivirus and it worked pretty well.

I wanted to try ZoneAlarm and got a great result. Zonealarm having no HIPS or Sandbox , was much better choice, the problem came with my P2P program ( Deluge ) simply did not work for me, others without problem.

For finish testing I installed Comodo (which I never liked ) and ... it works best . A Comodo have left him HIPS and Qihoo Disabled Disabled Sandbox.
The computer works for me better than ever and is amply protected.

That has been my experience, I hope you serve it .

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.