Should I use System Optimization software and which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I use CCleaner With Wise Disk Cleaner before running a manual on demand defrag with auslogics disk defrag pro. Once a week. Works like a charm.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question but I'll try and see what happens. Is it safe or necessary to defrag and optimize your computer once a week?

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question but I'll try and see what happens. Is it safe or necessary to defrag and optimize your computer once a week?
It's recommended to do it once a month.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@russ0408 Under Vista and more recent versions of Windows, a defrag in done in the background automatically every week, so you never have to manually do a defrag.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
clean master screws up android phone settings

I've used Clean Master for a 2 weeks, and it shouldn't provide any dangerous configuration; Its just a cleaning utility with bundled few tools like Password Protect the software.

I assume you might use Password protect which will cause a problem if you forget the code.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
The problem with these cleaners, is that one will miss spots another will find. Then that one will miss spots a third one will find and..it's really all just a pain in the butt to do a thorough cleaning and for very little difference. Unless you are constantly, and I mean constantly changing programs, downloading files etc..it's not worth your time. If you have anything newer than XP, defrag is done without you having to touch a button. I've never had a registry cleaner screw anything up, I've just had them say they've cleaned areas and still found folders/files/keys still right there. They are almost almost useless.

Caitlin

Level 1
Verified
May 17, 2015
What has worked for me for a long time is (only got revo about 2 years ago, though)

1.) ccleaner, ran whenever I remember, using their registry cleaner. Also go to the startup section and remove any processes you don't need
2.) revo to uninstall programs (installing with revo makes this process better because it keeps track of where everything goes instead of playing hide and seek when it scans later)
3.) using good anti-malware to clean your system & browsers
4.) add ons to clean your browsers and protect them from ads & harmful scripts & privacy concerns (browsers can be optimized for safety and performance with add-ons and I reccomend Palemoon! Also there are some good about:config changes, like turning off geolocation and webRTC leaks- check your privacy report at ipleak)
5.) piriform defraggler (sometimes when I run this it clears up quite handful of GB- because Im constantly downloading/deleting/moving around large video files due to my anime addiction :p)
6.) organize all your files very well. Use multiple subfolders so you know exactly what is where. This will help you clean and prune your computer so you can clear space more often and find things easier- makes the computer feel fresher. Not typical "optimazation" advice but I feel it optimizes by increasing experience & ease of cleaning tenfold!

Using these six things my PCs have run very fast & snappy with no issues and clutter- for years!

Reactions: Maxxx58

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
no, dont use any auto tuning app as i have seen people do and always regret it.

my recommendation is to:
-use Ccleaner to clean your registry and junk files
-manually edit any part of the windows that you NEED to and make a backup before any modifications
-use revo uninstaller to completely remove your apps (other unsinstallers are just not that effective. review of uninstallers )
-dont install any defrag tools as the one in windows does it job great.
-if you want to optimize/modify your windows with ease without doing things manually i recommend using Tweaker from Winaero.com .

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Revo Uninstaller screwed a computer I am fixing once. Nuked a few registries it shouldn't have touched in the first place, so I don't recommend based on my experience. I am content with PC-Decrapifier when it comes to uninstalling apps.

Haven't tried Kerish Doctor yet.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Revo Uninstaller screwed a computer I am fixing once. Nuked a few registries it shouldn't have touched in the first place, so I don't recommend based on my experience.
That's a problem with all uninstallers which scan for leftovers. On occasion they find files or registry keys which are not part of the program that was uninstalled. If these get deleted it can cause problems.

As a result of this, when using Revo, IObit Uninstaller, Geek Uninstaller or any other the other uninstaller which scans for leftovers, you need to take a look at the traces found and deselect any false positives before deleting anything. If you don't want to do this, then do not use these type of uninstallers. In which case, you can either stick to using a programs included uninstaller, or use an uninstaller like Comodo Programs Manager which monitor the files and registry keys created when you install software, and then use this information to remove software, rather than guessing what needs to be removed which is basically what Revo and its alternatives do.

Reactions: WinXPert and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comodo Programs Manager discontinued? It doesn't support Windows 8 or later

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Comodo Programs Manager discontinued? It doesn't support Windows 8 or later
It was discontinued long ago, but can still be used if really want. I I made a batch file to set all the exe files in its program folder to run in Windows 7 compatability mode, and after doing so it works find under Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Having said that, I don't recommend using it, as it is no longer supported and has some bugs which will never be fixed. I was just using it as an example. Crystal Idea's Uninstall Tool, is a similar program, but is supported and devleoper is very responsive on their forum, but it does not have the same simplicity of CPM, where every install is automatically monitored without any user intervention required.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
  1. Which optimization software should I use? - Kerish Doctor 2015
  2. Can I use registry cleaner should I use and wich? - Yes you should, CCLeaner will clean left over extra registries that are no more useful
  3. Which defrag software should I use? - Windows itself has derangement tool use that.
  4. Which uninstaller should I use? - Revo uninstaller pro if you can, otherwise use system's default
  5. Do I need the optimization software use daily or weekly? - Weekly
Avast is heavy anti virus I always feel difference when I use avast & then ESET, better change your AV.

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
So my questions are:
  1. Which optimization software should I use?
  2. Can I use registry cleaner should I use and wich?
  3. Which defrag software should I use?
  4. Which uninstaller should I use?
  5. Do I need the optimization software use daily or weekly?
1. CCleaner w/CCEnhancer; go light on CCEnhancer (or skip it)
2. CCleaner w/CCEnhancer only; others break apps--especially Auslogics
3. MyDefrag (free); optionally read about why it works the best and how to tune it to your needs, especially if you're a gamer
4. Soft Organizer (on giveaways on occasion)--no one else comes close
5. Monthly, after Patch Tuesday; turn off "auto" and "monitor" gimmicks

Reactions: Tani

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
1. CCleaner w/CCEnhancer; go light on CCEnhancer (or skip it)
2. CCleaner w/CCEnhancer only; others break apps--especially Auslogics
3. MyDefrag (free); optionally read about why it works the best and how to tune it to your needs, especially if you're a gamer
4. Soft Organizer (on giveaways on occasion)--no one else comes close
5. Monthly, after Patch Tuesday; turn off "auto" and "monitor" gimmicks
Tried soft organizer after knowing from this reply (sharing for information only) but seems not to be compatible with windows 10, ruined chrome profiles, chrome settings, had to set them up (it might have tried to remove extension or so), even removed chrome taskbar icon -_-

Reactions: Butterfly

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
@WinXPert concerning Kerish Doctor

Give it a go as I was a bit skeptical about these type of programs until I tried the 2 week trial of Kerish Doctor.Very feature rich and not as invasive as some.I really like the software updater as it warns about the important updates and does not try to automatically update everything on your system.

Been running it on a couple of systems for some time now and no problems thus far.

For unpaid I`d echo what has already been stated by the wise folk here that Ccleaner plus windows system tools are more than enough.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.