Always notify
Real-time security
Norton Security
VoodooShield Pro [lifetime]
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
GlassWire Basic [paid, lifetime] (not a malware scanner, but not running in real time either, so I put it here)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, Firefox; LastPass
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Process Lasso Pro
System recovery
Acronis True Image [WD Edition]
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Removed: Shadow Defender

I have been having random issues with my computer crashing, locking up, or windows explorer not loading properly since installing Shadow Defender a while ago; at first they were rare but now are occurring more and more often. Uninstalling Shadow Defender to see if it is what is causing the issues. Note: I had these issues with my computer before installing ZAM, so that is not the source of issue.
A very similar thing happened to me :(

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Update on LastPass:

LP states in their FAQ that to protect users from phishing attempts at getting their LP master password
"Warning that the master password was entered on a non-LastPass page: LastPass will detect if the user enters their master password on a non-LastPass page and pops a strong warning, even before the user submits it to the page. The user will know immediately that their master password may have been compromised and can change it."

I decided to test this (I highly recommend you do NOT do this yourself) (Also, I specifically changed my master password before doing this so that I could revert to my old password after) by entering my master password on a Gmail log in page. The only "warning" I got was that the LP icon had a small, barely visible exclamation point added to it, as you can see here:

upload_2016-2-5_13-3-58.png

I did not get any sort of information bar or pop up telling me that something was wrong.
I would not exactly call this a "strong" warning... I have emailed LastPass telling them this and including the screenshot. Will update if/when they respond

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Update on LastPass:
View attachment 82993
I did not get any sort of information bar or pop up telling me that something was wrong.
I would not exactly call this a "strong" warning... I have emailed LastPass telling them this and including the screenshot. Will update if/when they respond
Update:
[LP Tech Support]:
Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback.
Yes this is the behavior at this time.
Once the warning symbol is presented, if you click on the LastPass icon, it should provide you with the full warning and additional information.

I will forward along your feedback for possible future revisions however.

Best,
[Redacted]

[My response]:
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I still think that the little icon doesn't really qualify as a "strong warning" - how many people are likely to notice that tiny exclamation point then click it to see the message? Also, when I clicked the LP icon when the warning should have come up, it was just a gray box.

There really should be some sort of information bar - the same type of bar that you see when LP offers to save a password but say instead of green make it red with text similar to "Warning: You have entered your Lastpass/Master Password on a NON LastPass page"

Just my friendly suggestion.

Thanks,
[Redacted]

Thanks for the additional feedback and suggestion Evan. I have let our team know of your concern and they will review it for possible future revision.

Best,
[Redacted]

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

What are your experiences with Norton? I am thinking of purchasing a Norton license as well.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Sorry it took so long to reply. Norton is very good preventing web attacks but weak when it comes to USB protection or files inside of archives. It usually runs pretty stable and doesn't slow down the system too much. The only thing I don't like about it is the weak USB protection, but I mean, I don't go sticking my USB into strange ports so, its not that big of a deal :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Shran: I have an observation too when it comes on USB Protection, the thing I don't like before is where my system likely infected but Norton manage to clean everything on registry files. The response isn't quite convenient compare to others.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Purchased: Shadow Defender license :p
Very good decision :) It's a bargain if you realize it's lifetime and how good it is for not only testing Mal, but also for being able to reset the machine just by restarting after you disliked a soft you just tried out.

How do you like Glasswire? I tried the free version, but it turned down my PC speed noticeable? So I uninstalled it, however the GUI is awesome .

All in all, good config, thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: Logethica

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Glasswire GUI is really nice, probably the best part about it to be honest lol. I honestly didn't notice any slowdown over Binisoft WFC, in fact the program itself responds faster than WFC did (I have lifetime licenses for both). If you don't need the "fancy" graph, or being able to look at a program in the list and see where it currently is connecting, WFC will probably be just fine. I prefer GlassWire because I like the ability to see exactly where something is talking to at the moment.

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Added: Tweaks for UAC: do not allow unsigned process elevation & always ask for admin password, even when logged into admin account. (thx @Umbra)

Implemented Group Policy to block autorun.ini for any drives.

Updated: GlassWire not running in realtime, so I removed it from the list of realtime softs (still installed, just not always running).

Current realtime softs: Norton Security + Shadow Defender. Any other softs in realtime is redundant and unnecessary, as Norton includes exploit protection, firewall control & behavior detection. SD will undo any malwares on reboot. UAC won't allow unsigned elevation, and I have Group Policy in place to block any running of "scripts" (these are almost never useful for a legitimate software, but malwares love to use it, so blocked to stop this attack vector). Only 3 softs (if you include Adguard) & all(?) vectors covered.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.