Last updated
Mar 17, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security

Kaspersky Total Security 2021 MR3
AdGuard Windows

Firewall security
About custom security
Application Control:
Protected folders via Manage Resources (Guide)
Trust Group for Unknown Applications - High Restricted*^
Trust Group for Applications started before Kaspersky - Low Restricted^
Trust Digitally Signed Applications - Disabled

* - Start program - Prompt
^ - Internet - Deny

Firewall (Internet Access):
Trusted Group - Allowed (Only for selected programs)
Low Restricted Group - Deny
High Restricted Group - Deny
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft
Malwarebytes
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions

Browser: MS Edge (Primary)
Search: DuckDuckGo
Addons: AdGuard Browser Assistant, AdGuard VPN, Kaspersky Protection, Sticky Password, Smart HTTPS, & Others...
Settings: Custom settings with some experimental flags enabled

Browser: Mozilla Firefox (Kaspersky Safe Money)
Search: Google
Addons: Kaspersky Protection
Settings: Default

Secure DNS
Quad9
Desktop VPN
AdGuard VPN
Password manager
Sticky Password Premium
Maintenance tools
CCleaner
Wise Registry Cleaner
SUMo
File and Photo backup
Cloud (Onedrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire)
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Home Edition
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Working from home
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs

CPU: Intel i5-9400
MB: Asus ROG B365-G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB

Notable changes
Changed: Kaspersky Application Control & Firewall settings
Changed: Windows Login security to PIN
Added: Device recovery & backup solution
Changed: Device backup routine
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Well, agreed when it comes to non-configurable DNS. NextDNS still is stronger when configured correctly.

The guy test also NextDNS (default lists):
LTS_Tom
May '20

There were quite a few YouTube comments asking about NextDNS. I setup an account and then I ran the query against their services. While they did better than DNS Filter, Umbrella, and Cloudflare Filtered, Quad9 is still by far the winner in this test.

If someone have time for a comparison to OISD filter list like in my guide, that would be awesome!

@shukla44: Sorry for hijacking your thread :whistle:

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
Yes, the new 2021 MR2 seems to ME (of course) the lightest on my system resources. I guess many factors are included in this SSD, RAM, CPU etc.

Regarding 2 VPN's, Kaspersky VPN comes bundled with KTS so I was using it for convenience, Since i purchased AdGuard VPN last year, Installed it as well. Keeping both has it's reason as Adguard VPN doesn't have a system-wide software yet. Currently, I am using it on Edge as an extension.

IMO, the fastest for me seems to be Google, but Quad9 i started using after trying almost all the DNS services i could find. It's the perfect balance in security & performance for me.
Well if malware filtering is important in DNS for you, looks like can't go wrong with Quad9.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Why not? It's the reason i use different DNS otherwise shouldn't i stick to my ISP default DNS, which I know is fast.
DNS providers like NextDNS also have filterlists for ads and trackers which can replace or at least complement your adblocker. I actually recommend that you use either Cloudflare or Quad9 in Adguard Windows and configure a NextDNS setup for your browser.

Last edited:

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
Why not? It's the reason i use different DNS otherwise shouldn't i stick to my ISP default DNS, which I know is fast.
Typically Cloudflare and some other fast DNS services are in fact faster than default ISP DNS. Not to mention it supports DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS while at least my ISP does not. In the US you should never use your default ISP DNS servers anyway, a lot of the US based ISP's sell your unencrypted DNS data to advertisers.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

DNS providers like NextDNS also have filterlists for ads and trackers which can replace or at least complement your adblocker. I actually recommend that you use either Cloudflare or Quad9 win Adguard Windows and configure a NextDNS setup for your browser.
Remember that such a config will provide leaks. If your browser does a look up at OS level, that DNS provider is used, instead of browser one.
This can also be the case if browser configured DNS doesn't answer or if the browser isn't enforced to using only browser configured DNS.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Remember that such a config will provide leaks. If your browser does a look up at OS level, that DNS provider is used, instead of browser one.
This can also be the case if browser configured DNS doesn't answer or if the browser isn't enforced to using only browser configured DNS.
Don't see the problem tho. If the browser DNS fails you at least have a backup.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.