Advice Request Shutdown vs Restart in Windows 8/8.1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Is there anything different between shutdown and restart logic in win8/8.1 ? I read that when fast boot is enabled windows saves some configs in hibernation and that's how its able to boot quickly. The same applies to restart ?
I observed a strange behavior when using Unlocker to delete locked files. Unlocker shows it will delete the files in next boot(for locked files) and it does delete them when I restart the machine. But if I shutdown and then power the machine back up it does not perform the delete operation. So what's going on here ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There is a difference, but I don't know the exact details. A restart is a proper Windows reboot, and takes longer to get Windows 8 up and running. And I do recommend doing this every few days.

For example: If you notice slow start-up from Shutdown/Sleep mode, perform a restart. This should resolve those issues.

Ved

Level 3
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Unlike previous Windows versions, the Shutdown option in Windows 8/8.1 is not a proper shutdown.It is rather called as fast boot/Hybrid Shutdown.This you will experience if you have enabled fast startup (under control Panel>Power options>settings).

Shutdown in Windows 8/8.1 never shutdown Windows totally (only partially), This you can check by noticing Up time (under Task Manager>Performance Tab) for Windows 8/8.1.It keeps on growing.

But when we Restart Windows 8/8.1, it will reset Up time to zero.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
This you can check by noticing Up time (under Task Manager>Performance Tab) for Windows 8/8.1.It keeps on growing.

But when we Restart Windows 8/8.1, it will reset Up time to zero.
Great info. I never checked this in Win8.. But I know in Win7 it shows exactly how long the system has been running.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
in my Win 8.1 pc hibernate is disabled so when i shutdown my pc turns off

under my power options i have no setting for enable fast startup

and my pc starts up fast my last BIOS time is 4.3 seconds in the
task manager under the startup tab

my uptime in the task manager under performance starts when my pc
gets turned on

How to Turn "Fast Startup" On or Off for a Hybrid Boot in Windows 8 and 8.1
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 7 and Windows 8
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

fast startup could be faster but Win 8/8.1 starts fast anyhow for me and when
i turn off my pc i want it to be off

also what happens if i'm gone for a few months or even a year and it's half asleep lol

:)

James

Ved

Level 3
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
yeah, that's the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 boot up performances.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
When I disabled fast boot my system booted in >50 sec but after enabling fast boot its only 22 seconds.. It makes a huge difference.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
yes mine takes about 50 seconds to boot to desktop which is still faster than Win 7
i'm not in a hurry i'm to old for that lol

i just wonder what happens if left in a half sleep mode for long periods of time or
the power go's out

poo happens and i might not be around for a bit if something happens to me

i also read somewhere once fast startup is not good to use with SSD hard drives

:)

James

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
windows 8/8.1 has fast reboot. but if you add some task at boot then fast boot may not work. ex. if you do a boot defrag then fast boot will not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.