Signs of Trojan but none found by malwarebytes

rioisace

Thread author
Jan 18, 2014
Hi, I wonder if you could give me some advice?
The other day I had the Metropolitain Police (Cheshire etc.) pop up on one of my browser windows and lock my screen. It said my files had been encrypted etc - it was the same screen as the one in your screenshot...

However, i immediately closed my browser through the task manager and disconnected from the internet. I ran a malwarebytes scan, which came back empty, and have since been able to use my computer with no signs of infection or any issues. I never download plugins, extensions, or updates except for trusted software (adobe, microsoft etc.) and my browser is set to delete cookies after each session.

I just need to ask if you've had any experience of this scam popup existing as a popup only, without being the result of a trojan etc. Also, are there any more steps that i can take to ensure that i am free from malware?

Thanks

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • After the scan has finished click on the Clean button.

Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.

• After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Post logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop

Execute TDSSKiller.exe by doubleclicking on it.
Confirm "End user Licence Agreement" and "KSN Statement" dialog box by clicking on Accept button.
  • Press Start Scan
  • If Suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • If Malicious objects are found, select Cure.

Once complete, a log will be produced at the root drive which is typically C:\ ,for example, C:\TDSSKiller.<version_date_time>log.txt

Please post the contents of that log in your next reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 154

rioisace

Thread author
Jan 18, 2014
Ok, doing the TDS Scan now...
At the moment, I use norton 360 and malwarebytes, but obviously some has slipped through the net...

Which combination of programs do you reccomend?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    296 bytes · Views: 78

rioisace

Thread author
Jan 18, 2014
Nah, all good. Malwarebytes just found something though, so doing a full scan...
As i sa,y at the moment I use norton 360 and malwarebytes, but obviously some has slipped through the net...

Which combination of programs do you reccomend?

Thanks so much for your help

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Malwarebytes is very good, I can recommend you every anti-virus that is regularly updated, it's all the same sh** :)

I can recommend you MCShield as another layer of protection against malware that spreads via removable drives. If you're using any kind of USB Flash memory, then this program is must have --> http://mcshield.net/downloads.html

PC is clean, so we can remove used tools:

Please download DelFix by "Xplode" to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
  • Remove disinfection tools
  • Create registry backup
  • Purge System Restore

Now click on "Run" button. Wait for the programme completes his work.
All the tools we used should be gone.
Tool will create and open an log report (DelFix.txt)
Note: The report will also be stored on C:\DelFix.txt

> I don't need DelFix log report.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.