Silly/Stupid Ideas You Used to Have About Security?

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Post some of the silly/stupid things you did before you knew more about computer security.

For example, I thought that the more antiviruses I had, the better. So I loaded my semi-old laptop with about 3 real-time scanners and many more on-demand ones. :party:

Then I went in the opposite direction, and had no real-time scanners and until recently, only 1 on-demand. :p (I used varies AVs before finding CIS and liking the HIPS.)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Didn't install any updates considering that they will slow down the system.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Yep, I was definitely running 2 antiviruses (in real-time) at the same time.

I also believed any ads I read about effectiveness of antiviruses or cleaning software. This actually led to me installing rogue software on my computer.

Let's just say I've learned a little since then. :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've installed 2 antivirus engines...you know.... 2 are better than 1
Also I've manage to install StopZilla on my system... :yipi: (who detected some threats and asked me to buy it , to be able to remove them....can you say : roguuuuuuuuuuee)
I was very paranoid ,scaning my pc at least once a day ....than I move on.... scaning my pc daily with 4-5 on demand scanners ..It was a "fun" month...:intello: ..btw no malware was detected :p
And I've got more newbie stories :whistle:

OracleJMT

Mar 3, 2011
Back in 2006/07 I knew nothing about computers and security. Back then I barely had and antivirus, nor always a software firewall, and thought in my happy little world, that the only real threat, that could harm the most was some cookies and some adware. So I remember, that I always ran a scan with Lavasoft Ad-aware. No other on-demand scans, than Ad-aware. - And then, I also didn't update my system and third-party software too.

OracleJMT

Mar 3, 2011
OracleJMT said:
Back in 2006/07 I knew nothing about computers and security. Back then I barely had and antivirus, nor always a software firewall, and thought in my happy little world, that the only real threat, that could harm the most was some cookies and some adware. So I remember, that I always ran a scan with Lavasoft Ad-aware. No other on-demand scans, than Ad-aware. - And then, I also didn't update my system and third-party software too.

Until one day when I got badly infected with some nasty stuff. It really started a snowball towards computer security..:party:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.