Find my Phone
Off (disabled)
Remote wipe
No
Security & Privacy Apps
MIUI Security
Firewall & VPN Apps
No Firewall and no VPN
(When I'm at home my cell phone uses the router's WiFi connection, and the Firewall is set in my router).
Browser
Firefox
File and Photo backup
NO
Active subscriptions
    • None
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

silver0190

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 3, 2023
So, after asking for advice on improving my laptop security, now it's my smartphone's turn.
I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 a few days ago, it's a medium-low range mobile phone but for the moment I'm fine with it.
In various forums I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not to have antivirus on smartphones. Right now I'm using the default antivirus present in the MIUI system. I have also read conflicting opinions regarding MIUI itself, many recommend installing a new ROM.

What do you recommend?

silver0190

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 3, 2023
@silver0190 :
  • Enable SIM card lock
  • Enable Find my Phone
  • Firewall & VPN Apps -> VPN here would be welcome if You connect to public networks
  • File and Photo backup -> a cloud service to back up data would be welcome
Okay for point 1 and 2, for VPN i dont use it because when I'm away from home I use my data SIM, while at home I use my router connection.
As for the Firewall, I didn't know there was a Firewall for smartphones.

For the rest, is it okay? Is MIUI a reliable system? Including its built-in antivirus?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't know MIUI system, so I can't help You here... maybe other users in the forum?
Xiaomi's MIUI is what One UI is to Samsung devices.

MIUI 14 is based on Android 13 and was released at the end of 2022.

For the rest, is it okay? Is MIUI a reliable system? Including its built-in antivirus?
MIUI 14 uses AVL and Tencent for Antivirus protection. The Avast SDK appears to have been removed in their latest version.

"Powered by AVL | Tencent"
1697023544562.png
Image source: MIUI Security APK: Features, Details and Download (September 22, 2023) - xiaomiui

AVL most recent results by AV-Test (May 2023):

silver0190

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 3, 2023
If You did some changes in the config, please reflect it editing the config, and posting the changes, thanks.

I don't know MIUI system, so I can't help You here... maybe other users in the forum?
Hi, I didn't actually make any changes. I'm actually thinking of uninstalling MIUI to install a more secure and popular ROM.
My fear is that it might cause some trouble, as it is a newly purchased smartphone.
Furthermore, I am also afraid that installing a new ROM, for beginners like me, could create bugs and therefore make the smartphone much more vulnerable.
In short, I'm very undecided. At the same time, however, I don't find great opinions about MIUI and many people are having problems...

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.