silverhawk2 security config

silverhawk2

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 5, 2016
Addons, Extensions and Plugins :-

Zenmate, Session Manager, AnonymoX, FlashGot, Internet Download Manager extension for Firefox

Zenmate, Internet Download Manager extension for Chrome

No Addon, Extension for Internet Explorer

Other Software :-
Adobe Acrobat DC
VLC Media Player
FilmOn TV Player
Cyberghost VPN 6

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
thanks for sharing your config! :)

- Enable UAC at least to default settings
- Download 1 or 2 on demand scanners like (Zemana Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, ...)
- Replace Ad Blocker with Ublock Origin
- Install HTTPS Everywhere (chrome extension)
* Think about getting a password manager

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for sharing your security config :)

I also think that enabling UAC and using an on demand scanner (there are a lot of free possibilities) can make your config more secure :
that is good to make regular scans to be sure nothing has passed your real time protection :)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
UAC disabled with minimal protection ?
Your asking for trouble.
Welcome brother, I would suggest a few things
1> Enable UAC or download VoodooShield Free as a UAC surrogate
2> Add HMPA, or Zemana for added protection and Second
Opinion Scans.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Welcome to malware tips, since you're new I wont be harsh on you haha. But there is a lot of things you should change. First enable UAC to max, second get a second opinion scanner such as zemana, third I recommend getting voodoo shield, it will be really good for you, just trust me. Fourth get HMPA if you can afford it, if you can't get malwarebytes anti-exploit, I believe it is free. After you did all that use ublock origin instead of adblock. Next you'll want to get rid of free vpns, free vpns do all sorts of bad things. They sell your data, are slow, aren't secure, and some even add you to botnets. If you can I highly highly highly recommend using a paid vpn. I myself use purevpn but you may like tunnelbear better.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Welcome @silverhawk2, and thank you for sharing your configuration with us.:)
A local account is a good way of protecting your privacy, so well done there!
I agree with all the advice given by our fellow members/friends above!:rolleyes: I personally make use of each of their fine suggestions, so consider yourself among others whom suggest only the finest software from what we have come to rely upon ourselves.:) Voodoo Shield is a free software that can protect your system in areas where others fall short.
I just visited their site, so I also happen to have their link where you can read more, and acquire it free:
VoodooShield™ - The User-Friendly Toggling Computer Lock.

PS It's nice to have you with us!:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Hate to beat a dead horse but enable UAC to at least default.
Your smartscreen should be IE8 or Later for Windows 7
Personally I would try Avast Free on Windows 7 with Windows Firewall
You would benefit from one or two on demand scanners.
Consider uBlock Origin in place of ABD and add HTTPS Everywhere.
Consider some type of system back up solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

L

LabZero

Before you worry about antivirus, it is good to understand that the most important security concept is the observance of the basic rules of safety : keep the system well updated, use distrust of any executable (especially if downloaded from a bad source), and, more in general, to think always twice before clicking.

That said, the antivirus remains the second essential level of defense but, if you are using Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials is inadequate and, as already recommended here, it is really necessary to install a more full featured AV.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Before you worry about antivirus, it is good to understand that the most important security concept is the observance of the basic rules of safety : keep the system well updated, use distrust of any executable (especially if downloaded from a bad source), and, more in general, to think always twice before clicking.

That said, the antivirus remains the second essential level of defense but, if you are using Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials is inadequate and, as already recommended here, it is really necessary to install a more full featured AV.
Right,
and if he wants a lite config he should just slap HMPA and VS on there and call it a day ;)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
For a backup solution so you can create a system image to backup your system i would like to suggest either Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a good free and reliable version. Then you are prepared for any event you may encounter. ;)

Thanks for sharing. :)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Please enable UAC, it is really important. Then, you are using Microsoft Essentials on Windows 7, which is not very recommended. I suggest you to switch to another AV, such as AVG Free or Avira Free, or Avast Free.
Add some on-demand scanners, such as ZAM Free and MalwareBytes.
Please follow @frogboy suggestion about backups, add HTTPS Everywhere, Disconnect and SandBoxie Free, and use it while browsing to have more protection.

Thanks for sharing.

silverhawk2

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 5, 2016
Thanks to all pals for having a serious look in config of my system. Really appreciate that. I will try to use the best and most recommended advice soon. But as a rule of thumb, my policy is not to go there where it looks suspicious. This policy saves a lot of trouble ;) if you know, what I mean.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.