Skype for Windows will have Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
Skype, which still operates as an independent company for some reason, announced via a blog post today that it will soon be adding what it calls Conversation ads to its flagship communications application for Windows. The ads will only appear when the user doesn’t have any Skype credit when they’re making a 1:1 audio call with Skype for Windows.
Source: winsupersite

Ads will only be displayed in the Skype Interface when you make an audio call and only on the Windows client. Not that bad if you ask me since I am not looking at the Skype Interface during an audio call.

Here is the Skype blog post with the announcement.. it is funny how they are trying to convince us that ads are wonderful:
Users will see content that could spark additional topics of conversation that are relevant to Skype users and highlight unique and local brand experiences.
Anyway, I don't think they will be too annoying and I can live with them so far.

mattfrog

Jun 5, 2012
Re-framing ads in to ice breakers, now that is original marketing :D

Thanks for sharing!

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
You can opt-out from personalized ads using this page (it seems that I am opting out by default) however...
Opting out does not mean you will stop getting ads or see fewer ads; however, if you do opt out, the ads that you receive will no longer be personalized.
In addition, opting out does not stop information from being collected.

The blog post also mentions that they intend to roll out "additional commercial experiences in the future".

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.