Malware News Skype users hit by Ransomware

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Several users have complained that ads served through Microsoft's Skype app are serving malicious downloads, which if opened, can trigger ransomware.

News of the issue came from a Reddit thread on Wednesday, in which the original poster said that Skype's home screen -- the first screen that shows up on consumer versions of the software -- was pushing a fake, malicious ad, purporting to be a critical update for the Flash web plug-in."

Read more at Source

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I could pretend to be shocked .... [ but I'd be lying :) ]

We touched on Skype related "unpleasantness" here only a few days ago .
Possible Skype Adware

Has anyone ever tried contacting their tech support ? ..... It's comical / pitiful .
There is an excellent blog around somewhere ( can't find a link right now , I'll edit later ).

A seriously knowledgeable guy is trying to tell them about a BIG security hole ,
but their responses are unbelievably rude , crass and ignorant ..... funny stuff !

edit : OK , found it -
How Skype fixes security vulnerabilities

Read it and chuckle ; or weep .... your choice :)

It might look like I'm just out to trash Skype , but I'm not ; none of this recent stuff surprises me ,
because there is a history ....

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.