Slade's Security Config

Slade

Thread author
Sep 30, 2014
I always love to keep a heavy duty security setup that is as light as possible, but yet provides ultimate protection. I really like all the products that I use and have been happy with them. I also really like to Use Avast Free with Hardened Mode and PUP detection enabled for client PC's or laptops. It is my most favorite Free Antivirus. I feel very confident in my security setup and it has not failed me yet. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very good on having well configured for your real time protection. (thumbs up) :)

For blocking advertisement, you may use their built in feature of Anti-Banner or add an extension like Adblock Plus, Ublock, or Adguard (choose one).

Optional suggestion: If dealing multiple logins with different password combination, then better to store them securely with password manager like Lastpass.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your configuration, Slade. Your exuberance is infectious.:):)
I agree with scot and exterminator20 about UAC which truly can't hurt as it is an important protection included for your safety; and not the annoyance some believe.;)
Do you also have Windows 7 on your desktop too?

As a user of Virtual Box, you can appreciate virtualization.

How about sandboxing your browsing? The free app, Sandboxie, was one of the first software recommendations I'd received as a new member over one year ago from a staff member who 'exterminates' doubt over effective and trustworthy programs!:D

Recently, I've installed it on a guest account on our (my wife's) Windows 7 SP 1 system. If you don't already know all about it, I think you'll find it a useful optional app to share with clients for their security needs.:cool:

Edit: @Slade , I liked your impressive desk top specs which were a pleasure to read!:D It was a great move installing HTTPS Everywhere & NoScript, (imh, 2 core extensions), and tonibalas' suggestion of https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/ my heart feel 'Super Happy'!:p

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

noladevildog

Level 1
Verified
Jan 11, 2015
I always love to keep a heavy duty security setup that is as light as possible, but yet provides ultimate protection. I really like all the products that I use and have been happy with them. I also really like to Use Avast Free with Hardened Mode and PUP detection enabled for client PC's or laptops. It is my most favorite Free Antivirus. I feel very confident in my security setup and it has not failed me yet. :)

You configuration looks pretty good with a few exceptions.
What are you reasoning behind disabling UAC? I would re enable it.

What extensions are you using within your web browsers?
If I may, I would like to recommend three essentials.
AdBlock Plus or AdBlock Edge - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-edge/
Noscript - https://noscript.net/
HTTPSEverywhere - https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Also, please see this topic and help keep the forums nice and tidy.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-share-your-config-read-before-posting.87/

Slade

Thread author
Sep 30, 2014
My reason for disabling User Account Control in the past is simple, I do not like it. It is an annoyance to me. I have tried using it before, but do not like it. Thank you everyone for the comments. I also forgot to mention that I do indeed use Adblock Plus :). Thank you everyone for the recommendations and comments. I appreciate everyone being so generous. I may try enabling it in the future though just to see how it goes. :) It is a good security feature for people though, I must agree on that. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nissimezra

Slade

Thread author
Sep 30, 2014
Thank you for sharing your configuration, Slade. Your exuberance is infectious.:):)
I agree with scot and exterminator20 about UAC which truly can't hurt as it is an important protection included for your safety; and not the annoyance some believe.;)
Do you also have Windows 7 on your desktop too?

As a user of Virtual Box, you can appreciate virtualization.

How about sandboxing your browsing? The free app, Sandboxie, is one of he first software recommendations I received as a new member over a year ago from a staff member who 'exterminates' doubt in effective and trustworthy programs!:D

Recently, I've installed it on a guest account on our (my wife's) Windows 7 SP 1 system. If you don't already know all about it, I think you'll find it a useful optional app to share with clients for their security needs.:cool:
Haha, yeah. I have always found User Account Control annoying for my personal uses; however, I keep it enabled on client PC's for their protection. :) Yes indeed, I do run Windows 7 on my desktop. I recently ran Windows 8.1 though and I liked it. I probably will go back to it in the near future. I started having a few bugs in Windows 8.1, so I decided to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. However, Windows 8.1 is just beautiful. I really like it. :) I thought you may be interested to know the specs of my desktop: Intel Core i7 4770 processor, Gigabyte Z87x-D3h motherboard, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, 32GB G Skill Ripjaws X memory, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB GDDR5 video card, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Thor V2 Full Tower ATX Case, etc :). I have tried sandboxie, it is amazing indeed. I also love Comodo's Firewall with HIPS and The Auto Sandbox. I really like the new version 8 even better since they have a more automated sandbox setup.

Slade

Thread author
Sep 30, 2014
I would like to thank everyone for their invaluable tips and suggestions. I have updated my security config. I now have installed HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript Firefox browser add ons. Thanks noladevildog for the suggestions. I have also re enabled UAC. I am going to try it out and see how it does for me. Thanks to all for the suggestion. I appreciate it. :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
You have one of the most complete configuration in this forum and since you have so good desktop specs i think your pc is running smooth.
I want to do one suggestion, maybe you can try Malwarebytes Anti-Expolit and make your browsing a little safer when you are online;)
Thanks for sharing.

Slade

Thread author
Sep 30, 2014
You have one of the most complete configuration in this forum and since you have so good desktop specs i think your pc is running smooth.
I want to do one suggestion, maybe you can try Malwarebytes Anti-Expolit and make your browsing a little safer when you are online;)
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the comment. I have used Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit before and I like it. It is a great product. However, if you ever use Hitman Pro Alert you might want to uninstall it. I have read that people have had compatibility issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit used with Hitman Pro Alert. :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Since you are satisfied with Hitman Pro Alert keep it. I have never used it maybe i will give it a try.
Can you tell me what is it's RAM usage? I know MBAM needs more than 100MB.
Thanks for the information about anti-exploit.

Slade

Thread author
Sep 30, 2014
Actually, in my experience with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, it is much lighter than Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium. The ram usage is very reasonable and lower for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. I think last time I used it on my PC, it used about 10-20MB of ram somewhere in that range. :) What I really like About Hitman Pro Alert is it has a a CryptoGuard feature which prevents the Cryptolocker ransomware from encrypting your files if it somehow manages to make it past your security. It also has Botnet Protection and Browser Protection. However,it says it basically protects against trojans in your browser and phishing attacks in a sense which I have never seen any of that come into play just yet.:) They have a new version releasing sometime V 3.0, I think and it has even more features. It will have a free edition and a Paid Edition that also protects against exploits. Hitman Pro Alert only uses about 7-8MB of RAM, or at least that is what it is using on my computer. :)
Here is the download Link for the current Hitman Pro Alert 2: http://www.surfright.nl/en/alert
Here is some information about the upcoming Hitman Pro Alert 3: http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/press/surfright-announces-alert-3
I hope you enjoy it. :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
After your answer i will certainly give a try at hitman pro alert:)
Thanks so much for your answer;)

Reactions: Slade

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Actually, in my experience with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, it is much lighter than Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium. The ram usage is very reasonable and lower for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

They are different products, not to mention Malwarebytes bought out the original company.
Bustamante co-founded Zero Vulnerability Labs and launched the first version of the program as ExploitShield about two years ago. Malwarebytes bought the company, and the MBAE version has spent the past year in beta test. "Since then, we've advanced it a lot," he says.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/malwarebytes-anti-exploit-aims-to-stop-unknown-threats-to-windows/

Slade

Thread author
Sep 30, 2014
After your answer i will certainly give a try at hitman pro alert:)
Thanks so much for your answer;)
You are most welcome. :)
They are different products, not to mention Malwarebytes bought out the original company.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/malwarebytes-anti-exploit-aims-to-stop-unknown-threats-to-windows/
Yep, I know that. From what I know of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, it is targeted mostly as stopping exploits/zero day exploits. Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium is aimed at a wide range of malware preventing it similar to any other security product. However, with that being said in past versions Malwarebytes Pro memory usage has been a common complaint among users in the past. I think it has become much better in the latest version with its memory usage though. :) I just wanted to state that Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit RAM usage is low and lower than Malwarebytes Premium. Of course as you said they are two different products with different capabilities too indeed. Thank you for sharing the article. I enjoyed reading it. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.