Advice Request Smartscreen always on?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

O

ODHSNM

Thread author
I have Smartscreen disabled in Edge but can't disable it in the security centre, I can select Smartscreen and Phishing to the off position in the sec centre, but they re-enable at next boot.
Have tried both regedit and gpedit as per Windows 11 Disable SmartScreen to no avail, as its still enabled in the security centre, but disabled in Edge.
smart.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sorrento and amirr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
They are re-enabled on reboot by default because M$ knows what's best for you ;) i.e, don't want average users to be without protection.
Hi man, this guide by Mauro Huculak, did the trick for permanently disabling WD:

"Wrapping things up
While there could be scenarios where you may need to disable the antivirus, it's never recommended to have your device without malware protection.

If you're trying to get rid of Windows Defender Antivirus because you prefer another security software, you should know that the built-in antivirus will disable itself automatically during the installation of third-party security software.

It's should also be noted that the shield icon will continue to appear in the notification area of the Taskbar because it's the Windows Defender Security Center icon, not merely dedicated to the antivirus."

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.