Advice Request Smartscreen conflicts with other browser extensions?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Sorry for a noob question here, I did search but did not find my answer. When you have Smartscreen enabled, then you have other browser extensions such as the Avast or AVG Online Security or Bitdefender Traffic Light, do they both work together OK or can there be conflicts between the two? Regardless of the AV you use, would it be best to just use only one browser extension? I know a lot of AVs have browser extensions too and was wondering whether they cause problems if you also have Smartscreen.

Thanks for any info on this.

C.H.

Reactions: Nevi

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Sorry for a noob question here, I did search but did not find my answer. When you have Smartscreen enabled, then you have other browser extensions such as the Avast or AVG Online Security or Bitdefender Traffic Light, do they both work together OK or can there be conflicts between the two? Regardless of the AV you use, would it be best to just use only one browser extension? I know a lot of AVs have browser extensions too and was wondering whether they cause problems if you also have Smartscreen.

Thanks for any info on this.

C.H.

What browser are you using ? or you meant system-wide SmartScreen on Windows 10 ?

Edge with browser built-in SmartScreen or other chromium-based browsers with extension: "Microsoft Defender Browser Protection"

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Thanks for the replies. I use the new MS Edge browser just about all the time, it is my default. I have two laptops, both on Windows 10 2004. My main laptop right now I use MS Defender with Configure Defender on High and Smartscreen. As a test, I installed AVG Internet Security yesterday on my older laptop which I use less often. AVG works very well on it and I like how the AVG browser extension works and gives tracker info and web link reputation info but did not know if it would still work alongside Smartscreen.

C.H.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I use the new MS Edge browser just about all the time, it is my default. I have two laptops, both on Windows 10 2004. My main laptop right now I use MS Defender with Configure Defender on High and Smartscreen. As a test, I installed AVG Internet Security yesterday on my older laptop which I use less often. AVG works very well on it and I like how the AVG browser extension works and gives tracker info and web link reputation info but did not know if it would still work alongside Smartscreen.

C.H.

In your case of using Edge with built-in SmartScreen, probably shouldn't be any conflicts with this browser extension by AVG 👍
As already said by @Arequire, in case of suspicious websites known to be malicious for databases of both Edge or AVG, one blocks first and the other blocks after the first block would be allowed (just theoretical, anyone would like to allow...) ;)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Your only problem will be having to unblock the site multiple times if you get a false positive, very rare. You’re good to go (y)

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.