Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
G for Gaming

Quoted from: Snapdragon 665, 730, 730G announced: Qualcomm doubles down on cameras, gaming
The Snapdragon 730G is essentially identical to the vanilla Snapdragon 730, but offers a 15 percent graphics boost over the standard model (and a 25 percent boost over the Snapdragon 710). This boost is made possible thanks to the “overclocked” Adreno 618 GPU, according to the chipmaker.

Snapdragon 730GSnapdragon 730Snapdragon 665
CPU2x Kryo 470 (Cortex-A76)
6x Kryo 470 (Cortex-A55)
2x Kryo 470 (Cortex-A76)
6x Kryo 470 (Cortex-A55)
4x Kryo 260 (Cortex-A73)
4x Kryo 260 (Cortex-A53)
GPUAdreno 618Adreno 618Adreno 610
DSPHexagon 688 with Tensor AcceleratorHexagon 688 with Tensor AcceleratorHexagon 686
Camera48MP single/22MP dual
192MP snapshot
48MP single/22MP dual
192MP snapshot
25MP single/16MP dual
48MP snapshot
ModemSnapdragon X15
(800Mbps down, 150Mbps up)
Snapdragon X15
(800Mbps down, 150Mbps up)
Snapdragon X12
(600Mbps down, 150Mbps up)
Fast chargingQuick Charge 4+Quick Charge 4+Quick Charge 3.0
Manufacturing process8nm8nm11nm

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
And still slower than Apple chip
Apple still has the flaw, maybe its iOS related or something. Whenever you stress both CPU,GPU,RAM and IO on a heavy game it causes a huge dip in FPS but snapdragon chips how inferior it might be handles those games without huge dip, say from 60 to 30-40 fps. For FPS games that will be a kill or be killed situation.
Even so, most CPUs and GPUs have reached their peak since we barely feel the difference.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

It would be very strange if those mid-end SoCs had the same or superior performance than Apple premium solutions.

Snapdragon 855 is actually very close to A12 Bionic and it is an awesome feat considering that Qualcomm doesnt have the luxury to build huge chips like Apple can.

Some Apple SoCs are more than the double size of concorrent chips and this result in the premium price that iPhones are sold; Qualcomm and ARM have to balance performance and price considering the market needs.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
It would be very strange if those mid-end SoCs had the same or superior performance than Apple premium solutions.

Snapdragon 855 is actually very close to A12 Bionic and it is an awesome feat considering that Qualcomm doesnt have the luxury to build huge chips like Apple can.

Some Apple SoCs are more than the double size of concorrent chips and this result in the premium price that iPhones are sold; Qualcomm and ARM have to balance performance and price considering the market needs.
Apple still has the flaw, maybe its iOS related or something. Whenever you stress both CPU,GPU,RAM and IO on a heavy game it causes a huge dip in FPS but snapdragon chips how inferior it might be handles those games without huge dip, say from 60 to 30-40 fps. For FPS games that will be a kill or be killed situation.
Even so, most CPUs and GPUs have reached their peak since we barely feel the difference.

Apple = Intel

Qualcomm = AMD

Intel always pull ahead of AMD.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Apple = Intel

Qualcomm = AMD

Errr NO.

It is impossible to make a direct comparation between the X86 (Intel/AMD) and the ARM market.
The first is pratically a monopoly, while Arm Holdings licenses its technology as intellectual property for everyone to use.

Qualcomm and Apple have special licenses that allow custom ARM cores design, the difference is that the later can create more powerful chips because it doesnt care much about final price, so it can have SoCs with huge caches.

So Why Qualcomm doesnt do that? Because it will hurt its profit margins (silicon costs) and because the market doesnt need it.

Samsung can and probably will match (or exceed) Apple Bionic performance once its solve the problem with its Mongoose custom core.

Ps: Ryzen second generation architecture will make Intel lose face; the later is basically tweaking Sandy Bridge (2011) for years.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Errr NO.

It is impossible to make a direct comparation between the X86 (Intel/AMD) and the ARM market.
The first is pratically a monopoly, while Arm Holdings licenses its technology as intellectual property for everyone to use.

Qualcomm and Apple have special licenses that allow custom ARM cores design, the difference is that the later can create more powerful chips because it doesnt care much about final price, so it can have SoCs with huge caches.

So Why Qualcomm doesnt do that? Because it will hurt its profit margins (silicon costs) and because the market doesnt need it.

Samsung can and probably will match (or exceed) Apple Bionic performance once its solve the problem with its Mongoose custom core.

Ps: Ryzen second generation architecture will make Intel lose face; the later is basically tweaking Sandy Bridge (2011) for years.

Intel will going to pull the last laugh on AMD anyway.

When I said Apple = Intel and Qualcomm = AMD. I meant Apple is like Intel and Qualcomm is like AMD.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

Intel will going to pull the last laugh on AMD anyway.

When I said Apple = Intel and Qualcomm = AMD. I meant Apple is like Intel and Qualcomm is like AMD.

Well, Apple uses AMD GPU in macbooks and Adreno was AMD mobile chip which was sold by AMD to QCOMM.

Apple = Intel

Qualcomm = AMD

Apple has like 4-6 chipsets to support while qualcomm has more devices and OS to support.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Technically yes, but you seem to not understand the purpose of these chips. Theses weren't made to compete with Apple's flaghship phone chips in any way. These were made to be an incremental upgrade to the previous chips, which were being used in budget/mid-range devices

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Technically yes but you seem to not know the purpose of these chips. Theses weren't made to compete with Apple's flaghship phone chips in any way. These were made to be an incremental upgrade to the previous chips, which were being used in budget/mid-range devices

So the way you are saying like AMD make Ryzen chips not to tackle Intel chips but just to upgrade the ages FX chips? Nah mate.

Intel vs AMD

Apple vs Qualcomm

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
So the way you are saying like AMD make Ryzen chips not to tackle Intel chips but just to upgrade the ages FX chips? Nah mate.

Intel vs AMD

Apple vs Qualcomm
That's not what I said. I in no way spoke about AMD or Intel, nor was I talking about competition. I was simply stating that the purpose of these chips were not to compete with Apple's flagship phone's chip.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
That's not what I said. I in no way spoke about AMD or Intel, nor was I wasn't talking about competition. I was simply stating that the purpose of these chips were not to compete with Apple's flagship phone's chip.

Qualcomm and Apple have a long fight now, and yes Qualcomm is indeed competes against Apple. Your purpose is not the same as Qualcomm's purpose behind high end chips.

Two giant manufacturers.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
But foundation of their chips are given by ARM Holdings.
I cannot be sure but since 2008-2009, all large companies that have their own semiconductor manufacture lines make their own SoC like Samsung and Qualcomm, at least they don't need to license their product under ARM.
Example is Exynos and Snapdragon 855

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I cannot be sure but since 2008-2009, all large companies that have their own semiconductor manufacture lines make their own SoC like Samsung and Qualcomm, at least they don't need to license their product under ARM.
Example is Exynos and Snapdragon 855
They are under the license of ARM64, even if they use custom ARM64 chiplets they still need to pay revenue to ARM, it includes Apple,QComm,Hauwei etc..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.