Advice Request Snappy Driver, DUMo or None?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ProblematicPions

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 24, 2021
I've bumped into Snappy Driver Installer a couple of times but would say I'm a bit reluctant to using it.

It says "Scans your computer and automatically downloads missing driver packs from the Internet".

I've been thinking of it though - in use on a freshly installed Windows.

But I have also bumped into DUMo many times and have it installed but it's rare that I go about and update drivers.

Do you update drivers regularly and if so what do you use?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If you open Device Manager and there are no devices with missing drivers and no drivers with generic Microsoft drivers rather than specific OEM device driver installed, there's often not much point in updating drivers. New drivers sometimes contain important bug fixes or increase performance and occasionally fix security vulnerabilities. However, in some cases new drivers can be buggy and cause problems and it happens too often that driver update software will install an incompatible driver. With the wrong driver installed, a device won't work, until you replace it with a working driver and in rare cases you will get Blue Screens. So, once you have all the needed drivers installed, it's fine never to worry about updating them. The one exception to this is video drivers, as new video drivers often increase performance, particularly for gamers,

Before using third party tools, if you are using Windows 11 or a recent build of Windows 10, you often will find some driver updates available as optional updates in Windows Update, if you go to Advanced options. These drivers can even include drivers for devices that have no driver installed and OEM versions of generic drivers that Windows installed. It's possible if there any devices that have missing drivers, that you will find all the needed drivers there. In older builds of Windows 10, as well a previous version of Windows, you can right click on device in Device Manager and click on Update driver to do the same. But it has be done a device by device basis, as there is not way to get it check all devices for updates. However you would only need to check for updates for devices with no driver, or ones that are using a generic Microsoft driver, rather than every device.

As for using third party driver update tools, in my opinion, Driver Easy is the best, as it finds manufacturer specific drivers (e.g. a Dell specific video driver) rather than generic ones, as explained in the following link.

With the free version of Driver Easy, you have to install drivers manually using Device Manager. If you're only installing a few drivers, this won't be an issue.

Another driver updater which finds the manufacturer specific drivers, is PC HelpSoft Driver Update. It can useful if Driver Easy can't find a needed driver. It's published under many names, but I prefer the PC HelpSoft version, as has been updated more recently that any of the other variants of it. Also, it also appears that it may have been updated to support Windows 11, even though is not mentioned on its website. You can update one driver at a time and it you can only install about eight driver updates before having to pay. However you probably won't be installing that many drivers and in any case, you can uninstall and reinstall it to get past the limit. It's best to use Driver Easy first, as they test drivers before adding them to avoid ones which cause problems.

All other driver updaters, for the most part, don't look for manufacturer specific drivers. Snappy Driver Installer work fairly well, but Driver Easy and PC HelpSoft will do a better job of finding the drivers specific to your brand of PC.

If you have a Dell PC, if you have a support model, you can use Dell Command Update to install all the drivers which normally come preinstalled on a computer and then you can use it to check for driver updates. Some other manufacturers have support tools which can check for driver updates, but I think that Dell is the only manufacturer which gives you the option to install all of the base drivers, rather than just checking for updates.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I saw this video.
Windows usually does a much better job than Snappy Driver Installer and other third party driver updates at finding the right drivers. There are very occasional exceptions to this, when Windows will install a driver that doesn't work properly. But this is something that actually happens quite often with third party driver updaters. A good example of how well Windows manages driver updates is the following. It happens quite often that third party driver updates will install the wrong webcam drivers, which will result in the webcam being unusable. If you uninstall the bad driver from Device Manager and let Windows install a driver, usually the replacement driver will be the right one and the webcam will work again.

Having said that, there are very rare cases where Windows will continually replace a working driver with a problematic one. In which case, stopping Windows from automatically install drivers as shown in the video will solve the problem. But that is the only situation where I would recommend doing this.

As mentioned in my previous post, both Driver Easy and PC HelpSoft Driver Updater do a very good job of finding the correct drivers, although in rare cases they could cause issues. Other driver updaters will sometimes install drivers that aren't compatible and as a result don't work, or install "compatible" drivers. These compatible drivers often work fine, but are not the correct driver for the device. For example, DriverHub wants to replace my Intel SMBus driver with a Synaptics one and some want to install an Elan one. My laptop has an Intel SMBus, so driver updaters should only be finding newer Intel drivers to replace to current one.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I use SUMo and UCheck very occasionally, out of curiosity since I'm picky about hardware drivers. Usually, the app in question will inform me about new software versions anyway.

But, you know? I've installed like 11 Intel/chipset drivers off Windows Update in Settings (even the one dated "1968") and this machine runs like a top. So many still decry the capability of Microsoft to get a driver for you. For me, it's always been the right one, to where I'll occasionally decline the newest version on the ASUS site out of concern it'll bork things. Intel's Management Engine Interface isn't installed anyway so who needs those drivers?

Unless there's an urgent vulnerability, it's not that urgent.

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
I use SUMo and UCheck very occasionally, out of curiosity since I'm picky about hardware drivers. Usually, the app in question will inform me about new software versions anyway.

But, you know? I've installed like 11 Intel/chipset drivers off Windows Update in Settings (even the one dated "1968") and this machine runs like a top. So many still decry the capability of Microsoft to get a driver for you. For me, it's always been the right one, to where I'll occasionally decline the newest version on the ASUS site out of concern it'll bork things. Intel's Management Engine Interface isn't installed anyway so who needs those drivers?

Unless there's an urgent vulnerability, it's not that urgent.
DUMo works like SUMo does : it notifies about update, helps you reaching the genuine link but does NOT deploy anything automatically so that you can keep full control.
DUMo : KC Softwares

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
IMHO, if you keep your drivers updated all the time you don't run into issues, or what?:unsure:
There is usually no need to keep drivers other than video drivers updated. Occasionally drivers have security vulnerabilities which are fixed with new drivers. In that case it's worth updating them. It's worth updating video drivers as new drivers sometimes can increase video performance a lot, particularly if you are a gamer.

Other than that, unless you're having problems with a specific device, it's fine to never manually update drivers and just let Windows Update update drivers when it wants to.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@roger_m Hey, have you heard of Driver Techie? if so what do you think?
Yes, but there are better options. The UI is basically a copy of Driver Easy's UI, although it is definitely not using the same database of drivers. If you are using the free version, the download speed is exceptionally slow. At least it was a few months ago, I have not used it since then. Just like the free version of Driver Easy you have to manually install drivers from Device Manager. Other than that it's not terrible, but I prefer Driver Easy and PC HelpSoft Driver Updater/Smart Driver Manager as they do a better job at finding the right drivers.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Yes, but there are better options. The UI is basically a copy of Driver Easy's UI, although it is definitely not using the same database of drivers. If you are using the free version, the download speed is exceptionally slow. At least it was a few months ago, I have not used it since then. Just like the free version of Driver Easy you have to manually install drivers from Device Manager. Other than that it's not terrible, but I prefer Driver Easy and PC HelpSoft Driver Updater/Smart Driver Manager as they do a better job at finding the right drivers.

Thank you for the reply man, i work in the office at the school as the I.T we received a complaint from other school office (we have many schools) there were a old printer problem one of my worker uninstalled the driver and download it then install as usually so he was finding the driver for the printer as the website, google, etc so unlucky no driver due to very old i thought i would tell him that i try to see something maybe it will might work so i choose PC HelpSoft Driver Updater it worked haha it depends on the drivers i guess. if i wasn't here in this forums i would download Driverpack and search it OOOF! i always read threads in this forums. Great work dude keep it up ❤️

KTPHNjL.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.