SNORT Host Intrusion Prevention System (Freeware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author

Snort is an open source network intrusion prevention system, capable of performing real-time traffic analysis and packet logging on IP networks. It can perform protocol analysis, content searching/matching, and can be used to detect a variety of attacks and probes, such as buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS fingerprinting attempts, and much more.

Snort.Org

FAQ

Easier than OSSEC... and free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Snort is an open source network intrusion prevention system, capable of performing real-time traffic analysis and packet logging on IP networks. It can perform protocol analysis, content searching/matching, and can be used to detect a variety of attacks and probes, such as buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS fingerprinting attempts, and much more.

Technical Infos & Download

FAQ

Easier than OSSEC... and free.
Again,the link is not working!!
Thanks anyway!!:)

Edit:Thanks for fixing the link!!

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Regarding two IPS softwares you posted today (SNORT and Suricata), although I know little about them, I think they should be called "Network Instruction Prevention System" (NIPS), not Host Instruction Prevention System (HIPS). Some literature on the difference between NIPS and HIPS: NIPS and HIPS .

By the way, would NIPS softwares conflict with software firewalls?

Reactions: safe1st
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Regarding two IPS softwares you posted today (SNORT and Suricata), although I know little about them, I think they should be called "Network Instruction Prevention System" (NIPS), not Host Instruction Prevention System (HIPS). Some literature on the difference between NIPS and HIPS: NIPS and HIPS .

By the way, would NIPS softwares conflict with software firewalls?

I agree - HIPS, HIDS, IPS, IDS, NIPS...

Conflict ?

I don't think so, but will require optimization.

Symantec, Norton, Bitdefender, etc - have both firewall and IDS\IPS - and they work - for the most part... LOL.

Reactions: Online_Sword

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
My paranoia is pulling me to this software. xD
However, I have a few questions.
Is this good for locking down your system?
Is this a stable product?
Is this product worth it?

:D

Reactions: CySecy825

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i have used it before they never bothered to make a GUI for it, so its a bit too advanced for home users. although it is invaluable to a network admin!

Reactions: Online_Sword

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I was able to see SNORT in action on a large network. It was during a time that there was a major RCE JRE exploit unpatched for 2-3 weeks. Its a useful product. Home use, if you really want to, but a lot of work. Last time I check it was free, but the definitions were 90 daysold and below. Otherwise, its a very good IDS/NDS. :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.