TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

@rockstarrocks suggested me to use this office and I am eternally grateful. I think, it deserves its own thread.
For starters, it is more compatible with MO documents, we use at work, than any other office: WPS, LO, OO.
You can also create a portable version, it takes about 2-3 mins compared to an hour, that takes by LO.
I was afraid, that I would not be able to encrypt my documents, fortunately that option is also there.

Attachments

• capture_05042019_170103.jpg
    capture_05042019_170103.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 562
  • capture_05042019_170237.jpg
    capture_05042019_170237.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 450

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Does it have any ads?
What's the catch? There is none. Simply download it for free and use it for as long as you want.
No, it is free for personal and commercial use, but there are some limitations.

Is there anything you miss from the Microsoft's Office?
I do not use MO, so I can not compare. They forced us to use LO at work, yet they send us MO docs from headquarters, which are broken in LO. :rolleyes:
I used WPS to edit them, then used LO to save them and exported them to PDF for easy use. FreeOffice makes it easier, but I have yet to fully test it.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Can you name the limitations? I haven't had found anything about them on the web.

I tried LO yesterday; I have downloaded the portable version and after extracting the package, the whole LO was around 1 GB. It took like 15 seconds to launch, and after opening the Writer everything froze for a minute. I have immediately deleted the installation folder... :rolleyes:

I'm currently using Google Docs for viewing and editing documents; it's enough for me at the moment.

Reactions: Stopspying

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I used to run Libre Office. Then got a free copy of Softmaker Office 2016. I kept it for 2 years. The main limitation of Free Office 2018, for me: you can save and Open DOCX files but you cannot save DOC files. And I have a lot of DOC files that I need to work with.
I'm back with Libre Office, the stable version: i'ts fast, complete and free.

Can you name the limitations? I haven't had found anything about them on the web.

I tried LO yesterday; I have downloaded the portable version and after extracting the package, the whole LO was around 1 GB. It took like 15 seconds to launch, and after opening the Writer everything froze for a minute. I have immediately deleted the installation folder... :rolleyes:

I'm currently using Google Docs for viewing and editing documents; it's enough for me at the moment.

Softmaker free Office limitations:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Sorry for hijacking but the new WPS 2019 is really capable suite. Tried Softmaker but WPS seems more natural and some table tools are missing from Free version of Softmaker that I need all the time like fast calculation and some presentation options.
Just make sure to block every its exe from installation folder from calling out by Windows Firewall. That way adds will be blocked and probably some telemetry.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Sorry for hijacking but the new WPS 2019 is really capable suite. Tried Softmaker but WPS seems more natural and some table tools are missing from Free version of Softmaker that I need all the time like fast calculation and some presentation options.
Just make sure to block every its exe from installation folder from calling out by Windows Firewall. That way adds will be blocked and probably some telemetry.
Ugh, it's chinese product. I'm staying away from this. Used Kingsoft Office once, I don't remember the reason why I uninstalled. I know there was something irritating that I couldn't change.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Ugh, it's chinese product. I'm staying away from this. Used Kingsoft Office once, I don't remember the reason why I uninstalled. I know there was something irritating that I couldn't change.
It really doesn't matter these days where the product is coming from. It's just a phrase from the '50s when 99% of Japanese, German and Swiss products were top quality and 99% products from China were "meh". Totally different story now.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It really doesn't matter these days where the product is coming from. It's just a phrase from the '50s when 99% of Japanese, German and Swiss products were top quality and 99% products from China were "meh". Totally different story now.
I'm avoiding chinese products at all cost. Not because the product itself is bad, but because chinese products are known for collecting a lot of user data and because of it's country law, giving it directly in hands of the government. I'm not comfortable with that, so that's the reason why I avoid this product as well as the others.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I'm avoiding chinese products at all cost. Not because the product itself is bad, but because chinese products are known for collecting a lot of user data and because of it's country law, giving it directly in hands of the government. I'm not comfortable with that, so that's the reason why I avoid this product as well as the others.
We actually don't know for sure if other countries do the same... But I am confident that we cannot do anything about it. :)

Anyway, I understand your reasons.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
$8 / year isn’t too much for such great office suite. I am subscribed to their home yearly tire (don’t know the differences between Home edition and NX one if there are any).

Reactions: Stopspying

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I totally agree. That is why I don't use Baidu, Qihoo products etc.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

$8 / year isn’t too much for such great office suite. I am subscribed to their home yearly tire (don’t know the differences between Home edition and NX one if there are any).
You can get SoftMaker Office NX Home 1 year subscription for free.
I got 3 licences from this giveaway. And now i am not going to install Microsoft Office ever I think.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
You can get SoftMaker Office NX Home 1 year subscription for free.
I got 3 licences from this giveaway. And now i am not going to install Microsoft Office ever I think.
I've not had a version of Microsoft Office for quite a few years now. I have both Softmaker Office full version and LibreOffice, between them they manage to do whatever I need to do these days, but I have no need for complicated pivots or similar so they may not be suitable for complex databases etc.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I just get SSL error when trying to get a free product key for this product. Support forums are full of similar issues (for 2018 version this year) but no real solution/help. Uninstalled, life's too short to waste time faffing about.

• Sad
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.