Softonic's Browser Comparison: Head-to-head with Chrome, Firefox, IE and Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yigido

Thread author
Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera: which one is the most powerful browser? As the window to your online world, your browser is probably one of the most important programs you have on your computer. For this reason, we decided to put the top four to the test to see how they stack up against each other.
Unsurprisingly, not all browsers are created equally. Some have more experience, like Internet Explorer, others are open source, like Firefox, some are sponsored, like Google Chrome, while some are shy, like Opera. To properly compare these browsers, we did an objective test in a controlled environment.

We used a computer with Windows 7 (which is why we excluded Safari from the list), and established criteria to define the winners: speed, memory usage, and web performance (speed and efficiency). Here, the tests are strictly based on objective rather than subjective criteria, because at the end of the day, personal taste always comes into play when choosing your browser.

For a full explanation of exactly how we carried out our tests, check out the complete methodology we used for the browser comparison.

To make it even easier, consider each browser like a car: each one serves the same purpose, but some are more suitable than others depending on what you need it for. You wouldn't use a Range Rover to drive around a race track, just like you wouldn't use a Lamborghini for off-roading.

With this analogy in mind, let's see how the browsers stack up in each category and figure out which browser is best for you.

----------
SOURCE
----------

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I don't really understand why someone would waste their time testing the browsers to find which is the fastest, they tested it on one machine but that result they got can/will be different on another system.

Reactions: yigido
Y

yigido

Thread author
I find these results pretty useless because they can have different results on different computers. It all depends on the system.
They must have a criterion so they did this test on one machine. Which machine do you prefer to make your browser number one :rolleyes:

Reactions: Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
They must have a criterion so they did this test on one machine. Which machine do you prefer to make your browser number one :rolleyes:

On my toaster of course

hah just kidding

I determine the browser number one on my 7 business laptops.

Reactions: yigido

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks, yigido, for sharing. Firefox taking the blue ribbon:eek: surprised me ..until I remembered how testing was done on Windows 7!!:cool:
My wife is a former IE user whom prefers F.F. now, so this makes sense in our home. Yet, on our 8.1, Mozilla's pride and joy falls flat as a not so fluffy pancake since it freezes on me ...alot!!:mad: Thank Goodness for Google, Opera Now, & Cyberfox x64 (right, yigido?:rolleyes:).:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.