Advice Request SoftOrbits Privacy Protector

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Never heard of it before to be honest.
For me O&O shutup 10 works so far without any problems.
Always do a backup before (because you can always be the unlucky one that gets problems) // They have an restore default setting but better safe than sorry.
For me while ticking 90% of the boxes it works flawlessly.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Is it true, that Microsoft has the ability to tract {record} everything typed on my keyboard?, some keylogger program, and if so why doesn't my anti keylogger stop it? This is mentioned in the programs website

What Windows 10 Knows About You ...​

• Disables Keylogger, preventing Microsoft from collecting information you type on your keyboard. Is this just a marketing ploy or true

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Never heard of it before to be honest.
For me O&O shutup 10 works so far without any problems.
Always do a backup before (because you can always be the unlucky one that gets problems) // They have an restore default setting but better safe than sorry.
For me while ticking 90% of the boxes it works flawlessly.
Looks good and free? Notice any less memory being used after you installed this?

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Is it true, that Microsoft has the ability to tract {record} everything typed on my keyboard?, some keylogger program, and if so why doesn't my anti keylogger stop it? This is mentioned in the programs website

• Disables Keylogger, preventing Microsoft from collecting information you type on your keyboard. Is this just a marketing ploy or true

When setting Microsofts diagnostics to the lowest level available to consumers on 10 Home and Pro which is setting level: 'Basic' or 'Required diagnostic data'. You can view all collected data Microsoft telemetry has collected using Microsoft Diagnostic Data Viewer even with some of the telemetry settings blocked or turned off Windows will still collect a bunch of things.

Windows > Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback > set to desired level > Afterwards scroll down > enable 'View diagnostic data'
Afterwards when Diagnostic data viewer is installed you open the viewer in both the same settings window as well as in Windows startmenu.

1622984786003.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

This is just nonsense.
Windows never includes any keylogger.

This shows the knowledge of that company and should avoided at all costs.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

It's age-old marketing from brain-dead journalism exaggerating claims about something they know very little about. Specifically back when Windows 10 was in Technical Preview (2014/5).

Articles from the past:

Most privacy software marketing use deceptive and misleading claims to get your hands trembling with fear, as such with "What Windows 10 Knows About You".

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
SoftOrbits Privacy Protector is new soft for me...its interresting and useful features also. But we don't know what among them is real and what is fake as pure marketing. I think we shouldn't trust SOPP but shouldn't trust Windows and its components also due to possibility to exploit/bypass/hollow system trusted processes. So if they can be used by malware they need to be monitored by some technologies like anti-logger.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
SoftOrbits have a range of products that are mostly graphics ones. They frequently promote their software on giveaway sites. From what I've seen on computers where people have installed their software they behave like the nagware you get from iObit on a similar basis - pop-ups promoting other products and deals from the company.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.