Battle Software for a non security enthusiast?

Venhiem

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
I currently use Bitdefender, and it slows down the PC a lot. When I start up Windows I have to wait a few minutes in front of a black screen before the login appears (this doesn't happen without BD).

So I'm looking into a software thats good for someone who just wants antivirus (and antimalware and antiransom etc etc) protection, and maybe firewall, without the bloat of 'features' like PC optimiation and registry cleanup and file shredder and secure browser and antispam, and so on. Something that is light on the resources but doesn't sacrifice security for the purpose.

From my (inexperienced) observation, Emsisoft seems to offer what I want, and Kaspersky too maybe. Two other options I didn't mention above are Trend Micro and Avira, although I don't particularly like Avira because of its UI.

My PC isn't top of the line stuff, in particular I find the 4 GB RAM especially limiting when I want to play CSGO and use Firefox at the same time, and BD is back there eating up resources.

Anyway some input would be very much appreciated.

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I propose another solution, ESET. It's fast and reliable.
ESET is "just work" (if you familiar with apple terms) and have clean GUI (easy to use).

Didn't see this one..... I LOVE ESET 10, on my win7 machines. In fact I currently use it on the desktop I'm on... Mainly for the exceptional spam filtering.o_O The HIPS are a little heavy while surfing, but easily ticked off. (a restart is needed).

Venhiem

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
Installed and using Emsisoft, much much better than BitDefender and doesn't slow PC down at all. Only problem is that I play most games in Borderless Windowed (for ease of Alt-TAb) and Emsi only triggers Game Mode on Full Screen apps.

flagging that RAM usage box is important if your system has limited RAM. Don't forget to do that, or you might as well use something heavy like Kaspersky.

You mean 'Activate memory usage optimization'? It's already enabled or am I meant to disable it?

The lightest I`ve ever used was Webroot Secure Anywhere, like I really couldn`t feel it on my system at all.

Regards Eck:)

Thanks for the suggestion! Is it too dumb if I do not want to use Webroot because of its interface? I'm not exactly after eye candy but Webroot (to me) looks like something that might be found on a Win98/XP desktop.

A LOT of good advice mentioned. I can concur with a few of them....
I have in one way or another, used or am currently using these that I mentioned. And yes, Webroot is insanely light, the rest will work fine on a 4gig machine. I do however prefer Norton on Windows10. (don't know your OS).... Can't comment on Trend Micro. Just haven't used it. Won't comment on Kaspersky, as I dont think you'll like it. (simplicity wise)

Mine is Win7. Kaspersky is complicated? Or bloated?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
This probably won't go anywhere with the OP, but 360 Total Security is very light on systems I have here. Have it on 3 PCs, including an old P4 1.5 GHz/1.125 GB running XP. The sandbox is a good feature that would cost in most scenarios, but it's free in 360. BitDefender and Avira defs are easy to activate/deactivate, but I run them both with no problems.

Anyone know if 360 TS Essentials is still available? I saw a download on CNET, but I'm not sure that is for the old Essentials program or the 360 TS that Qihoo has on their site. Didn't see 360 TSE anywhere there.

What about 360 TS and VoodooShield? Sandbox browser and office apps in the 360 sb and monitor executables with VS. That confines your issues to memory protection at least. You could go with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for that and add NoScript and an ad blocker to the browser to help. I don't know who is doing the best job of the suites with memory protection. Maybe Kaspersky?

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
M

MalwareBlockerYT

I currently use Bitdefender, and it slows down the PC a lot. When I start up Windows I have to wait a few minutes in front of a black screen before the login appears (this doesn't happen without BD).

So I'm looking into a software thats good for someone who just wants antivirus (and antimalware and antiransom etc etc) protection, and maybe firewall, without the bloat of 'features' like PC optimiation and registry cleanup and file shredder and secure browser and antispam, and so on. Something that is light on the resources but doesn't sacrifice security for the purpose.

From my (inexperienced) observation, Emsisoft seems to offer what I want, and Kaspersky too maybe. Two other options I didn't mention above are Trend Micro and Avira, although I don't particularly like Avira because of its UI.

My PC isn't top of the line stuff, in particular I find the 4 GB RAM especially limiting when I want to play CSGO and use Firefox at the same time, and BD is back there eating up resources.

Anyway some input would be very much appreciated.
You need to choose between light weight or protection/features?

Kaspersky:
- Not light
- Good detection rate
- Lots of extra features
- Lots of settings & customisation
- Great GUI

Emsisoft:
- Lighter than Kaspersky
- Brilliant detection rate - one of the best
- Not that many extras
- Less settings/customisation
- Still a nice GUI

I wouldn't recommend Avira or Trend Micro:
- Bad GUI
- Trend Micro hasn't got such a good detection rate
And the list goes on...

I would recommend going with either Emsisoft or Kaspersky & then for extra protection just add VoodooShield Free - this will block pretty much all Ransomware.

Voodooshield: VoodooShield™ - The User-Friendly Toggling Computer Lock.

If you want light & no extras then go with Emsisoft, trust me it's the best of the best :)

360 Total Security is also very very light weight on the system & has Avira + Bitdefender engines - double protection.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion! Is it too dumb if I do not want to use Webroot because of its interface? I'm not exactly after eye candy but Webroot (to me) looks like something that might be found on a Win98/XP desktop.

Dumb?? No Ven that`s smart because you`re gonna have to look at it every day.

You eat with the eyes first,isn`t that what they say ?

Then again I like Immunet but that`s another story:D

Venhiem

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
I used to use Qihoo (360), but I kept reading really negative comments about it here on MT (back in 2014) so I dropped it. Something about being chinese, selling information, I don't know the specifics but it wasn't exactly flavor of the day back then.

I see lots of people use VoodooShield, what does it do? The website keeps mentioning something about 'locking' the computer? I don't test malware samples or such, do I need it?

And thanks for understanding Eck :p

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I used to use Qihoo (360), but I kept reading really negative comments about it here on MT (back in 2014) so I dropped it. Something about being chinese, selling information, I don't know the specifics but it wasn't exactly flavor of the day back then.

I see lots of people use VoodooShield, what does it do? The website keeps mentioning something about 'locking' the computer? I don't test malware samples or such, do I need it?

You are very welcome Venhiem and I would check out VS a great addition to any set-up.;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

why we should use Voodooshield
- It uploads the hash to virustotal -> you know the detection ratio and you can decide if the file is safe or not
- VoodooAi scans the file and shows if the file is safe or unsafe => helps you to decide again
- in smart mode and always on mode: it locks down everything. Only the files you allow them to run can run (default-deny)
- in autopilot mode: it scans the file by virustotal and voodooAi -> if those results are both safe the file can be allowed automatically but if 1 of the result is unsafe, it will prompts to ask you to allow or deny
- default options: it automatically quarantines the file which has >5 detected engines from virustotal

Voodooshield is highly recommended by many users in MT
Personally I use Autopilot mode

VS is a sophisticated product so I cannot explain in detail how it works but for the default options, it works well.A bit annoying in smart mode/always on modes but very user-friendly in autopilot mode

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I see lots of people use VoodooShield, what does it do?
VS is a popular default/deny app. That means it works the opposite of AV, which allows everything except for identifiable malware. VS denies everything except for identifiable cleanware. The cool part of VS is that it has the smarts to advise you when to trust a file, and when to stay on the safe side.
It has some other cool features under the hood, too.
But it is not bug-free. It is beta.
Give it a try!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have 360 TSE installed custom settings and VS Pro.
This config is very lite on system resources.
Here is the link you have to scroll down to find the download.
360 Total Security: Free Antivirus Protection | Virus Scan & Removal for Windows, Mac and Android
@Venhiem as for games i can't tell you about 360 TSE except flash games that i play with no problem
The Qihoo comparison chart says that only the premium (paid) version is ad-free.
But in reality, does TSE have ads?

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

My recommendations go to Eset (depends on your use of your computer Smart or Nod32 ), Norton, Webroot and Bitdefender Free
I do not recommend Qihoo, (I think it's the first time I differ with my good friend @tonibalas) :eek: because does not seem to me to be a good election for a "not enthusiastic", since you will have to take many decisions

VoodooShield in default settings has the same problem for you.

Forticlient has a good protection on malicious websites, however I do not like such as antivirus. When I had installed on my computer I have observed a low rate of detection if compared with the previously mentioned.

A possible free and not annoying defense could be: Zonealarm Firewall free + Bitdefender free + Malwarebytes Antiexploit free + Avira Safety Browser.

A payment defense, after reading your priorities, I would go with Eset

Some mates recommend you install the trial versions of the antivirus mentioned. There is no better advice, what works well on my computer and with my habits does not have to be good for you. ;) :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I used to use Qihoo (360), but I kept reading really negative comments about it here on MT (back in 2014) so I dropped it. Something about being chinese, selling information, I don't know the specifics but it wasn't exactly flavor of the day back then
things haven't changed with Qihoo. It has the strongest behavior blocking you can get in a free AV.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
But in reality, does TSE have ads?
I haven't seen any ads while using it:).
does not seem to me to be a good election for a "not enthusiastic", since you will have to take many decisions
From my experience if someone has safe browsing habits popups are very little.
And if you are downloading staff from well known sites you wont get popups.
And if you do you know the software is safe and you can allow it to run or restore it from quarantine;)

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Learning curve: I would have to lean towards Kaspersky since Emsisoft's behavior blocker does require more user interaction/decisions where Kaspersky makes more of the decisions for you and for the most part are very accurate with very little FP's.
Graphical User Interface: Depends on what you are looking for. More options or GUI fluidity, as Kaspersky has much more configuration options but Emsisoft feels smoother.
Protection: They both offer superior protection but I would have to give the advantage to Kaspersky. But as for system performance Emsisoft wins. Very little system impact.
Btw I have been running Emsisoft AM now for about 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.