Guide | How To Software for your fresh computer

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Dashke

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 3, 2012
malbky said:
For Zip managin peazip is very good. Thanks for the list Dashke

I am using Bandizip because it packs and unpacks: Zip(z01), ZipX(zx01), TAR, TGZ, 7Z(7z.001), and EXE(e01) and unpacks only: RAR(part1.rar, r01), ACE, ALZ, APK, ARJ, BH, BZ, BZ2, CAB, EGG, GZ, J2J, JAR, IMG, IPA, ISO, LHA, LZH, LZMA, PMA, TBZ, TBZ2, TGZ, TLZ, TXZ, UDF, WAR, WIM, XZ, and Z. You are welcome! :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Another alternative program which does same for unpacking most extensions is 7-Zip. No problems for several years and does fine enough. :)

D

Deleted member 178

7zip is among the best one (the best for me), it handle almost all zip files , and it is light.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
PeaZip handles all the formats. I find peazip better as it has a pretty interface and easier to use. You can use 7Z theme manager to change 7Z's theme. Here is the link http://www.7ztm.de/

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Very nice list there. Will be handy for people that have just done a format and have nothing on the computer.

Dashke

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks McLovin!
I have just added ObjectDock instead of Ticno(since it became free for personal use) and Avast.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
FileHippo is a good source for software for a new PC.

Picking out the Top 3(or 5) best software for each category would be my suggestion.

Don't forget Mac and Linux listings.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
malbky said:
For free AV's also include the Kaspersky CBE edition.

Kaspersky CBE isn't free for all, it still requires a license or some T&C to be able to use for Free.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
KIS CBE is offered to ComputerBild readers and members, if everyone else uses it, Kaspersky might decide to put an end to their promotion. I assume that the only completely legal way to obtain the installer is if you buy the magazine and you get it from their CD/DVD.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Firefox as open source software and Google Chrome as free for personal used replacement from IE default (Windows).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Interesting list, but keep it simple and using known software helps heaps.

I probably only recognise about a dozen of the software listed, but good job. :D

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
just use ninite.
pressbar.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.