MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Need Some Help
- 4 days ago a BSOD occur in my windows 8.1

WVXCJ

- From that day my C Drive size increases by 8GB.
Before - 21GB
After - 29GB

What would be the reason that it increased that much & how can remove that thing which increased my C Drive size.

New Info-

After BSOD i used DiskCleanup it deleted a dump file of size 500MB.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Check drive c:\ do you have this foder?

Windows.old

Also the increase of size may be due to the multiple error reports created by windows.

In both cases , run the built-in disk cleaner

Control panel > admin tools > disk cleaner

Select drive C , run it once, after select "clean system files" admin button , tick all boxes then run it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Oxygen
Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
In computer management, click on event viewer & then expand window logs & click on system logs. Check current date for error, critical & warning logs & u will find it.If u know what exact time BSOD happened, u can find it easily.

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Edited my previous post.

Be sure to show hidden folders and system folders in folders options

Upvote 0

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
In computer management, click on event viewer & then expand window logs & click on system logs. Check current date for error, critical & warning logs & u will find it.If u know what exact time BSOD happened, u can find it easily.

Really i don't know the time or even the exact date as because at that time my brother was using the Pc.
He just told me that a blue screen occured & PC got restarted.

Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
But u posted in thread, 4 days ago u faced BSOD. Hmm..then u need to check throughly for critical, error or warning logs only. Since ur pc running fine i don't think u need to worry about. what i found that this error happens when someone tries to install window 8 in outdated virtual pc softwares like vmware.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
if your pc did a complete memory dump it can be that big

here are the kinds of dumps Windows 8 can do

Varieties of Kernel-Mode Dump Files
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560246(v=vs.85).aspx

Complete Memory Dump

This dump file requires a pagefile on your boot drive that is at least as large as your main system memory;
it should be able to hold a file whose size equals your entire RAM plus one megabyte.

The Complete Memory Dump file is written to %SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp by default.

:)

James

Upvote 0

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
But u posted in thread, 4 days ago u faced BSOD. Hmm..then u need to check throughly for critical, error or warning logs only. Since ur pc running fine i don't think u need to worry about. what i found that this error happens when someone tries to install window 8 in outdated virtual pc softwares like vmware.

Sorry for that wrong information its 3-4 days ago. my PC is running fine but i just don't want that increased size

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
if you do not need the dump file to see what made it happen you can use disk cleanup tool in the adminiatrative tools to delete the memory dump file

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
mabe it is this?

Automatic Memory Dump

An Automatic Memory Dump contains the same information as a Kernel Memory Dump. The difference between the two is not in the dump file itself, but in the way that Windows sets the size of the system paging file.

If the system paging file size is set to System managed size, and the kernel-mode crash dump is set to Automatic Memory Dump, then Windows can set the size of the paging file to less than the size of RAM. In this case, Windows sets the size of the paging file large enough to ensure that a kernel memory dump can be captured most of the time.

If the computer crashes and the paging file is not large enough to capture a kernel memory dump, Windows increases the size of the paging file to at least the size of RAM. The time of this event is recorded here in the Registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\LastCrashTime

The increased paging file size stays in place for 4 weeks and then returns to the smaller size. If you want to return to the smaller paging file before 4 weeks, you can delete the Registry entry.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn383663(v=vs.85).aspx

:)

James

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.