Some fun with bing and java...

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Sorry the article is in french, but in brief:

You go to Bing, search java, the first link propose you a download link that mimic the java installer,
it asks you to send an sms to a phone number that costs 4,50 EUR to receive a code.

Maybe it works in France only.

I've test it with Chrome and Edge, with BD IS. No problem...

VT is showing that avira and eset are detecting it today:
Scan report for http://r9.jav.fufush.xyz/fr/index/listado/?pk_campaign=Jav at 2017-05-21 09:45:17 UTC - VirusTotal

Note: nothing is downloaded, it's only HTML...
bing1.PNG
bing2.PNG
bing3.PNG
bing4.PNG
bing5.PNG
bing6.PNG
bing7.PNG

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Yes, I have the same feeling about the Windows store.

I've bought a Lumia to my wife last year, with windows 8.
Nice OS, I would say between Android and IOS in term of usability. And the phone was super cheap and still fluid. Well optimized.
But the store is... :(

A lots of apps let you think that they are "officials" and that not the case (youtube, wikipedia...). I'm feeling like in a jungle...

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Someone has probably exploited SEO techniques to get the first result on Bing search.
And someone else should investigate at this point.

Reactions: lab34

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I went to the site and downloaded the Java installer. It wanted me to install a Chrome extension before letting me download the file. But it did give me the option to skip that and start the download. The downloaded installer has the same filename as legitimate Java installer, but is an adware downloader. It can download and run the genuine installer, but also wants to download unwanted third party software as well.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.