Some shoppers banned from Amazon for returning items too often

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i guess about 2 years ago there was also a similar case in europe: amazon has banned a woman for returning clothes too often...

source: Some shoppers banned from Amazon for returning items too often

If you're in the habit of returning items to Amazon oftentimes, you might want to think twice before sending back your order to the online retail giant as some shoppers have apparently been banned from the site for making too many returns.

According to a new report from The Wall Street Journal, Amazon closed the account of one customer in March last year for allegedly breaking its terms of use, without specifying what exactly was the violation until a customer service representative pointed to his return activity. The ban meant an individual can no longer "open a new account or use another account to place orders on our site,” Amazon told the customer in an email.

Another shopper also saw her account terminated earlier this month for having "reported an unusual number of problems” with the items she purchased from Amazon, WSJ reported.

It's not clear at present how many customers have been banned from Amazon due to their return activity. Reasons for terminating an account may vary, including requesting refunds too often, returning the wrong item, or writing product reviews for pay, according to former managers at the company.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Jeez, I better be careful.

But I do spend a LOT of Amazon, I think on average $12,000-$18,000 a year exclusively on Amazon. But my return rate can get pretty high because if I get something crappy, I expect to have it returned. That's Amazon's fault for encouraging returns. Costco has a liberal return policy, which is why I also shop there. That policy goes away or gets nerfed, I will shop elsewhere.

Amazon should expect this to some extent because a lot of what they sell has commonly high return rates (shoes, etc).

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
In one sense, i agree with Amazon, some people are serial shoppers AND serial returners and there is nothing worse than getting an item that someone else has quite clearly had before you but at the same time Amazon should be clamping down on the people who sell things are not as described. Recently i bought a couple of supposedly "galvanised" outdoor hardware items and when they arrived they aren't galvanised at all, they have been painted silver(badly i may add) to try to give it a look of being galvanised, granted these were only cheap items so it wasn't worth the hassle of returning them so i suppose i'll use them till they rust then buy "real" ones.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

You'll never get a used item from Amazon proper. Maybe resellers but not Amazon. The reason is, any return goes to their Amazon Warehouse Deals website and will be listed as 'New-Other' and say something like the box is damaged.

Amazon's real issue - like Wee points out, start with fraudulent, counterfeit or misrepresented items. For example I recently needed a DOW Chemical Reverse Osmosis Membrane for my whole-house RO unit. Only to find a significant portion of them sold on Amazon are crap Chinese copies/clones. The membrane rejection rate will be well under 98-98% water rejection rendering a higher TDS end product.

Returning them makes you look bad in Amazons eyes, but fraudulent items are fraudulent!

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I agree with whats been said. Personally I do believe that unfortunately, there are individuals that abuse the system (if you will) and these individuals should be dealt with. I've heard of stories of people buying large expensive items (not on Amazon, but other ID companies) and just returning them, saying "ya I never opened the box, just wanted to return it." Now I'm sure that's and extreme case, but sadly it does happen. Usually when I buy stuff on Amazon, I try my best to get it from Amazon directly, I always have some iffy feelings about some resellers. I do agree whole heartedly agree that Amazon needs to crack down on these fraudulent resellers. The more this happens, the more it makes all resellers look bad, even the good ones. One thing that drives me crazy with some resellers is the prices they set on some items. I know they can set their own prices, but man, sometimes its just insane. I've gone looking for a movie box set in the past, with Amazon it may cost $50.00, a reseller, $500.00 for the same thing. It's like REALLY????? I know resellers want to make a profit, but when you sell something well over MSRP, its a little ridiculous IMHO and quite frankly I don't want to purchase from you.

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.