Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In today's blog post, Sony said that more than 15 million PlayStation 3 owners participated in the program, lending over 100 million computation hours to researchers.

"The PS3 system was a game changer for Folding@home, as it opened the door for new methods and new processors, eventually also leading to the use of GPUs," Vijay Pande, Stanford's Folding@home lead, said today in a statement.

According to Pande, Folding@home helped the researchers develop a new strategy to fight Alzheimer's.

Source

Sony PS3 Firmware 4.30 should be rolling out this week. Sad to see it come to an end. :(

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Stanford was involved in the decision to part-ways.

Other than that I couldn't find any other information. Hopefully they form another partnership with the next-gen PS. Who knows..

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
The ps3 was down graded point wise and with much newer and faster GPU's there is very little worth folding on a ps3 anymore.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ps3 Cell did score third place behind AMD and Nvidia GPUs, so does make sense, but doesn't every little help.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
Stanford was involved in the decision to part-ways.

Yes, I saw that, but there must be some serious issue because I can't imagine Stanford turning down free processing time.

As you say, every little bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.