Sony introduces "world's fastest" SD card with write speeds of upto 299 MB/s

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Sony has introduced the new SF-G series of SD cards, which it claims are the "World's fastest" with write speeds of up to 299 MB/s and a read speed of up to 300 MB/s.

The company states that the quick write speed allows a longer continuous shooting of high-resolution images with UHS-II supporting cameras and a shorter buffer clearing time to help users better capture the moment.

Viviano Cantu, Vice President, Product Marketing, Sony Americas Media, and Energy Group said:

“Available in 32GB, 64GB and 128GB capacities, the SF-G Series offers options that ensure high-performance, high speed and reliable shooting. As the continuous shooting of higher-resolution images and adoption of 4K video with DSLR and mirrorless cameras increases, the inherent need for larger, faster and more dependable cards becomes apparent. A longtime leader at the forefront of professional media, Sony has met these growing demands with the debut of the SF-G Series, which offers industry leading performance.”

The card uses Sony's algorithm to "decrease data-writing speeds that contribute to the camera’s ability of successive high-speed shooting". They are also water-proof and anti-static.
upload_2017-2-24_8-38-8.gif
Additionally, the company is providing a free downloadable File Rescue software which allows easy recovery of media, including accidentally deleted or damaged files.

The cards will be available in Spring 2017 along with a memory card reader, MRW-S1, to enable transfer of data to a PC supporting the USB3.1 Gen1 Interface. The pricing remains unknown. You can learn more about the SF-G series here.

Source: Sony via Engadget

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Advertised speeds are always way more than the actual speeds. Its like me saying, I can get 100 marks in the exam but never got that. :D

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Such fast MicroSD would be nice for tablets and hybrid netbooks :)

Reactions: Myriad

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
And super-cool for users of Raspberry Pi ( and other such devices ) , if the claims are realistic :)

No word on pricing though ....

Reactions: vemn

vemn

Level 6
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
And super-cool for users of Raspberry Pi ( and other such devices ) , if the claims are realistic :)

No word on pricing though ....
Ah... I was thinking why do we need such high speed for a SD card... (noob me)
You enlightened me, it will benefit for Pi. And probably Intel NUC too

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Ah... I was thinking why do we need such high speed for a SD card... (noob me)
You enlightened me, it will benefit for Pi. And probably Intel NUC too
Also for high-bitrate 2160p (or greater) video recording in small form factor cameras. :D

Advertised speeds are always way more than the actual speeds. Its like me saying, I can get 100 marks in the exam but never got that. :D
Actually in some high-end hardware, the advertised speeds can be smaller than the actual real-world values...

Certain high-end Intel PCIE SSDs has this. If I recall correctly, they advertised something like "2200mb/s read / 700mb/s write" but actually got speeds of around ~2700mb/s read and like ~1000mb/s write.
Perhaps they meant "minimum" write speeds for the original 2200mb/s and 700mb/s rating, but I'm not sure. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.