Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
NA
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
NA
Sony Laptop
Model - PCG-7Z1L

I have clean install Win 10 64. 2 drivers are missing as per device manager. Sony website doesn't show the above mentioned model for drivers for any OS.

I am mentioning Hardware ID from device manager. Can anyone help me find the drivers from trusted source?
And can anyone tell me if these drivers are important & required ones?

Hardware ID
1. Mass Storage Controller
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_902D104D&REV_00
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_902D104D
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&CC_018000
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&CC_0180

2. Unknown Device
ACPI\VEN_SNY&DEV_5001
ACPI\SNY5001
*SNY5001

Win 10 64

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Logethica

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Since Windows 10 was released, many legacy drivers were ported over to Microsoft Windows Update by their original vendors so that they would be delivered via Windows Update.
Maybe you should try installing all available updates for your Windows 10 installation first.
Also, do you have any discs containing those drivers? Usually they come with the laptop in its box/case, in a "Setup CD/DVD".

Reactions: Rishi
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I dont have any disc.
Windows Updates installed graphic, audio, etc...

Those 2 mentioned in the first post remain.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Thread author
In your Sony, right before you did a clean install, was a warning from Sony in your Sony Viao Update stating that they were recommending to not upgrade to windows 10 let alone do a clean install as the hardware/drivers would not be supported completely.

The top set of numbers is your memory card reader:
Hardware ID
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_902D104D&REV_00
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_902D104D
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&CC_018000
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&CC_0180

The second set of numbers is your Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device :
ACPI\VEN_SNY&DEV_5001
ACPI\SNY5001
*SNY5001

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok I got it.

In a forum a member stated that-
"God damn, color me surprised. On the bottom of the computer there is a very large stamp that says MODEL: PCG-7Z1L. That site says to look for the model number on the LCD lid hinge, and sure enough in tiny print there are letters and numbers (but nothing specifically stating that they are the model number). My computer's model number is VGN-NR160E. Sorry about that, folks. I'm not very computer literate".

I looked on the LCD lid hinge.
My model number is VGN-NR180E

Now I will look for the drivers on Sony website.
If any prob will post here.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Try this page: Sony eSupport - Electronics - Select Your Model

And look at the sticker in the back of your laptop for the specific model number.
If the drivers lookup on the official Sony website doesn't return any results then you'd be better off posting on their official forum for assistance (from what I've seen around their forum, it seems they've got some really helpful staff/moderators) or looking up those hardware IDs on Google to see if there are threads in other forums already or if there are any pages with information about them.

A quick lookup on Google for those IDs, returned the following:
  • The first set of Hardware IDs is related to: Mass Storage Controller Driver
  • The second set of Hardware IDs is related to: Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device

The first one probably has to do with a card reader or something. The second one has to do with the overall functionality of the FN button, brightness control, power management settings, etc of your laptop.
I am inclined to believe that these devices are NOT essential for the proper functioning of your laptop (they are more of a luxury, to be honest), so you should be fine without installing the drivers for them.

EDIT #1: Credit to @illumination for posting first. I really went all out on my wall of text again, sorry for the late response. :D

EDIT #2: Now that we know your specific model number, here's what I found on the Sony website: Sony eSupport - VGN-NR180E - Support

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I am looking on the mentioned support page. It says Original OS Vista.
For Win 10 64 I should download Vista or Win 7 drivers on that page?
I believe Windows 7 drivers are closer to Windows 10, since many parts of the core of Windows 10 are based on Windows 7 (you can say Windows 10 was built upon Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 8/8.1 was in turn was heavily based on Windows 7).
Most Windows 7-compatible software should work on Windows 10 as well, as Windows 10 is generally more closely related to Windows 10 than Windows Vista.
Of course, these are not core PC component drivers (e.g. processor or motherboard drivers), and as such it probably won't be an issue if one version doesn't work - uninstalling a non-working version should work just fine, and installing a different one shouldn't cause any issues.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo: Usually if you will download a drivers, there will be a message if the installation fails due to system requirements.

So far try if you can install however the two drivers missing are not so critical as mentioned earlier. ;)

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Thread author
The driver for windows 7 "Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device" was also used for those upgrading to windows 8/8.1, so it should work fine on windows 10.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Try this page: Sony eSupport - Electronics - Select Your Model

A quick lookup on Google for those IDs, returned the following:
  • The first set of Hardware IDs is related to: Mass Storage Controller Driver
  • The second set of Hardware IDs is related to: Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device

The first one probably has to do with a card reader or something. The second one has to do with the overall functionality of the FN button, brightness control, power management settings, etc of your laptop.
I am inclined to believe that these devices are NOT essential for the proper functioning of your laptop (they are more of a luxury, to be honest), so you should be fine without installing the drivers for them.

EDIT #2: Now that we know your specific model number, here's what I found on the Sony website: Sony eSupport - VGN-NR180E - Support
Can you help me find Mass Storage Controller Driver on the mentioned support page?

Under Memory Card Reader/Writer -

Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia ControllerRelease Date10/01/2007Version2.0.0.18File Size1.14 MBDOWNLOAD
File Description

This utility installs the originally shipped version of the Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller driver.

Memory Card Reader/Writer Driver Registry PatchRelease Date5/03/2007Version0.0.1.1File Size450.29 KBDOWNLOAD
File Description

This utility installs the originally shipped version of the Memory Card Reader/Writer Driver Registry Patch.

I should download the 1st or 2nd one?

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Can you help me find Mass Storage Controller Driver on the mentioned support page?

Under Memory Card Reader/Writer -

Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia ControllerRelease Date10/01/2007Version2.0.0.18File Size1.14 MBDOWNLOAD
File Description

This utility installs the originally shipped version of the Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller driver.

Memory Card Reader/Writer Driver Registry PatchRelease Date5/03/2007Version0.0.1.1File Size450.29 KBDOWNLOAD
File Description

This utility installs the originally shipped version of the Memory Card Reader/Writer Driver Registry Patch.

I should download the 1st or 2nd one?
It seems that the actual driver is the "Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller" one.
The other file has to do with a registry tweak related to the overall function of the Memory Card Reader on your laptop.
I'd recommend installing both of them, since they are both related to the same hardware component and they offer different functionality.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
It seems that the actual driver is the "Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller" one.
The other file has to do with a registry tweak related to the overall function of the Memory Card Reader on your laptop.
I'd recommend installing both of them, since they are both related to the same hardware component and they offer different functionality.
On the support pg -
Under Vista OS - Both drivers are available i.e Mass Media & Firmware Extension
Under Win 7 64 - Firmware Extension higher version is available. Mass media is not available.

So can I install Mass Media for Vista one & Firmware Extension for Win 7 64 one on my Win 10 64?

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
On the support pg -
Under Win 7 64 - Firmware Extension higher version is available. Mass media is not available.

So can I install Mass Media for Vista one & Firmware Extension for Win 7 64 one on my Win 10 64?
I'm afraid I really have no answer on this one. Trial and error, as far as I'm concerned.
Try the Vista ones first. If they install fine and the "caution" signs disappear from Device Manager, then you're good to go.
If they don't work, report the issue right here.

Upvote 0

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Untitled.png
Those 2 drivers are missing from vaio laptop since i upgrade it to W8.1 Pro.
My system is working fine so far.
My laptop is VGN-FW21E.
Sony support page says that my laptop suports W7 not 8 but mine is working fine i can't install those 2 drivers.
I searched for a while install these drivers and since i couldn't i left the system as it is

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
View attachment 77525
Those 2 drivers are missing from vaio laptop since i upgrade it to W8.1 Pro.
My system is working fine so far.
My laptop is VGN-FW21E.
Sony support page says that my laptop suports W7 not 8 but mine is working fine i can't install those 2 drivers.
I searched for a while install these drivers and since i couldn't i left the system as it is
Interesting information. Thanks for sharing, @tonibalas.
@yesnoo might find it interesting for his drivers case.

Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Thanxx tonibalas & DracusNarcrym.

Now I will decide to install the drivers or not. And if I decide to install he drivers then will try them under Shadow Defender. If they work then on real system. And will post the result here.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Thanxx tonibalas & DracusNarcrym.

Now I will decide to install the drivers or not. And if I decide to install he drivers then will try them under Shadow Defender. If they work then on real system. And will post the result here.
If you have Shadow Defender on your system, then you're all set. Do some trial and error and you should find out which drivers work or not, and if they are required or not. Good luck! :p

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
On the support pg -

Ok, I tried under Shadow Defender.
Firmware Extension for Win 7 64 worked i.e Under Device Manager "Unknown Device" disappeared. Firmware Extension for Vista didn't worked i.e Install mentioned successful but under Device Manager "Unknown Device" was still present.

Mass Media for Vista didn't worked i.e Install mentioned needs x64 version & I clicked OK but install completed & mentioned successful but under Device Manager "Mass Media" with yellow sign was still present.

I think I am not going to install any as you guys have mentioned both are not required & important & tonibalas mentioned he couldn't install any & system is running fine without any probs.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Ok, I tried under Shadow Defender.
Firmware Extension for Win 7 64 worked i.e Under Device Manager "Unknown Device" disappeared. Firmware Extension for Vista didn't worked i.e Install mentioned successful but under Device Manager "Unknown Device" was still present.

Mass Media for Vista didn't worked i.e Install mentioned needs x64 version & I clicked OK but install completed & mentioned successful but under Device Manager "Mass Media" with yellow sign was still present.

I think I am not going to install any as you guys have mentioned both are not required & important & tonibalas mentioned he couldn't install any & system is running fine without any probs.
Not installing any of these two drivers is probably the best decision, which should also lead to most stability, since as you've found out, only the Firmware Extension (Windows 7 x64 version) worked at all.
You shouldn't worry too much - I think this issue has been solved. :p

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.