Advice Request Sophos Free vs Premium?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I am curious i want to know about the limitations of free version ¿Are the premium versus features necesary?, ¿What are your opinions and experiences whith sophos free?, ¿It is recomendable for a home user?

Reactions: amico81

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
high impact on resources and many false positives. don't recommend it.

good solution for those who are not demanding. for me just the movil version is the pretty protection and low resources compsuntion.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Sophos Premium is a very good AV...Trust me it is very good AV
What else is required ?? It includes best reactive and pro active components>> CHEAP !
Fp's also very minimal...No settings to tweak
Best web blocking out there..timely signatures / Invincea+End point interception+ Sophos BB+ HMPA
SOPHOS ML is the first one to catch any of my samples in VT with "Heuristic" detection
Decide for Yourself ! ! !
Trend Micro & Sophos are 2 under estimated AV's ..they clearly doesn't deserve Top names across the segment**

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Sophos home free:

Basic av only and only allows installs up to 3 devices (mac OS and Windows).

Sophos home premium:

Adds hitman pro /intercept X capabilities and installs up to 10 devices (mac OS and Windows). Sophos home premium does offer more in terms of protection compared to the free version. It is also priced very well at $50.00 for what you get. I've been using it for a while now and its very light on resources. I've haven't had any issues with falso positives yet. The issues that were mentioned above have been fixed and addressed. You can access the settings page in IE, edge, chrome, firefox, etc..., also the system impact has been improved drastically. If you want you can also take a look at the Sophos Home Premium? thread if you want some more info. If you do decide to go this route, I would add something along the lines of OSArmor to help fill in the gaps, but either way, the only way to know for sure is to try it out for your self and see what you think.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I am just curious. I want to know if sophos free have too much lacks of protection i read it not have "advanced realtime protection" is this need it? i read free does not have "Rasomwareprotection", advanced webprotection and white list, and another things

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Yes i see that link but because the limitations listed in that link i want to know from MalwareTips users if the free version are worth in comparion whith windows defender or kaf for example. And I see in this forum have too many links to discounts ¿Do you have one?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Reactions: harlan4096

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I used Sophos Free when it first released, the lack of local configurability was the reason I terminated my Sophos account. Now that they've introduced a Premium tier... Sometimes you have to "use brain" to what you want vs what you actually need.

Advanced Real-Time Protection
Protects against new and developing viruses, malware, potentially unwanted apps (PUAs), and program exploits to prevent infection from the latest threats
Use browser extensions to prevent access to harmful websites, Unchecky to prevent PUA/PUPS, update your software.

Advanced Ransomware Protection
Stops the latest ransomware from encrypting your files and drives
Regularly backup everything. Don't run unknown software, avoid sites that are click-bait and don't be stupid.

Advanced Web Protection
Blocks phishing sites and bad or compromised websites for safe browsing and shopping
Use browser extensions

Banking Protection
Protects your banking and credit card information from being intercepted by third-parties and key-logger software
Make sure you PC is clean. Use trusted software. VPN?

Privacy Protection
Monitors access to your webcam, and blocks attempts to record your keystrokes
Same as above.

Advanced Malware Removal
Removes previous malware infections
Same as above, or clean install Windows.

Support
Live email and chat Monday to Friday from 8am-8pm ET (UTC-5)
You ask most questions here anyway.

Devices Protected
Create 2 accounts for 6 devices.

high impact on resources and many false positives. don't recommend it.
Sophos Free or Premium w/ Advanced RTP?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The free version isn't too ba, but can be quite the hog on a non-SSD computer.

~LDogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.