Sophos Home 3.0.0

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hi,
My F-Secure Safe license days are over, so i decided to test Sophos Home Premium. Here's my quick opinions vs. F-secure Safe:
-Boot time increased about 5 seconds on my system, which uses fast nvme. That means about 20sec on traditional HDD
-first scan takes a lot of time, no biggie for me
-memory usage is quite big, about 400mb. Its good or a bad thing(caching -> faster response time)
-most of the demoscene products, which uses custom packers quarantined instantly
-exploit protection(hitman pro alert) killed my favorite MP3 audio player instantly, because of ROP mitigation
-slight delay when loading web pages
-URLHAUS samples detected, but getting a pop up "partially cleaned", then after a minute or so a pop up "its deleted" <--- wtf its this??

Kindest regards,
-sepik
Lol sounds like a nightmare 😂

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Sophos has good web filter and great anti phishing capability.
On other hand, its offline signatures are average,not too responsive. Clean up takes a hell of time,,some times with delayed notofications.
Its BB is tied to Real time module, from recent versions.
Self protection , as per my past exp is very poor, seen ransom encrypting Sophos directory files ..core components need some back end work to get through.

May be ok choice would rather pick Kaspersky / Bit defender free suites any day

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
In my experience Sophos took about a day or two to settle down. Supposedly it's documenting all your files in the background. After a couple days the system was very responsive. It is aggressive at quarantining files, it quarantined ConfigureDefender immediately. If I remember correctly their self protection improved dramatically with the advent of version 3.0, prior to that it was basically open season on the AV files.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Update for Sophos Home 3.1.0
Various fixes and improvements

Is it possible to install without premium ? and choose free version ...

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Update for Sophos Home 3.1.0
Various fixes and improvements

I think you like the light protections. Sophos is too heavy to system resources

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Yes. You used to get the premium features, which you could disable. Maybe they have changed because I found this:

But you have been warned by @stefanos ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.