App Review Sophos Home Beta against some Scriptors

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
A little off topic but I was watching this latest vid and Carol Ann walked in and wanted to know what music I was listening to,
I told her it was a Security review.
CS who is that so I can tell her, she liked it who ever it is.
PS: Thanks for the test CS.

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
A little off topic but I was watching this latest vid and Carol Ann walked in and wanted to know what music I was listening to,
I told her it was a Security review.
CS who is that so I can tell her, she liked it who ever it is.
PS: Thanks for the test CS.

Sleepingdog - He Loved to See the World Through His Camera

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I'm glad you guys liked the video! And a few things:

1). Is MT rendering different today or is it because I'm on a different laptop?

2). Janl and Askmark- I've done this topic to death in the past, but the simple fact is that some Security products with a large presence in the Enterprise space (like Sophos and Symantec) tend to ignore scriptors like worms. The reason for this is simple- a vbs worm (like the one used here) in coding may be almost indistinguishable from a legitimate script written by an Enterprise for High and Noble purposes (like automating processes across the network, or the macros used in Excel for financial analysis). When I was still doing trivia like Breach Analysis for Corporations, it was shown that a vast majority of the causative malware were simple scripts that were running on the system for months. Frequently they were only caught as someone noticed pulse transmissions to somewhere on the Steppes of Central Asia. But other than the Firewall logs the main product was just fine with their running.

Point being that some products (like Sophos) are so concerned about having false positives for unknown scripts that they just ignore them. The worm used in this video was in no way especially nasty nor unique. My only issue was which one I felt like using- they all would have given the same result). But it seems no one really cares but me; certainly the product developers don't give a flying (add curse word here), and instead count on the apathy of the user.

3). Cyber- As Erreale has correctly pointed out, this songs was on a CD by SleepingDog. The composer (and singer) is Chantal Acda (the songs were written with her dog sleeping at her feet). I heard her perform in some cathedral in Northern France a number of years ago; with the echoes and resonance from that space the music was so surreal that I almost melted in my chair (and extend my compliments to Carol Ann- Great Minds Think Alike!).

4). Behold Eck- Perfect Comment!!!! WinPatrol is the first thing I install after the OS. Although I normally will use it to accept/deny legitimate applications from autostarting, it would have also alerted to a malicious script autostarting and thus it could have been excluded from continually screwing you.

Aaddendum- I was a bit too harsh in Point #2. Not all worms would get by Sophos. But it is a trivial matter to write one that will. Remember that Blackhats (and BlackSkirts) also beta test...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
3). Cyber- As Erreale has correctly pointed out, this songs was on a CD by SleepingDog. The composer (and singer) is Chantal Acda (the songs were written with her dog sleeping at her feet). I heard her perform in some cathedral in Northern France a number of years ago; with the echoes and resonance from that space the music was so surreal that I almost melted in my chair (and extend my compliments to Carol Ann- Great Minds Think Alike!).
Thanks sis, I will earn a few points and pick up some of her music for Carol and surprise her with it.
Married for 10, dated for 6 before that, best 16yrs of my life. I am well trained ;) lol

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
@Behold Eck @cruelsister Did you notice that Scotty just got an update?

What's new in V35.5.2017.8 (May 7, 2017)
  • Fixed addition of Startup programs to be compatible with recent changes to Windows 10.
  • Fixed removal of Startup programs to be compatible with recent changes to Windows 10.
  • Disabled and removed checkbox for “Allow PLUS info data collection” because recent changes in allowed URL length resulting in no data being returned for customers.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

• Fixed addition of Startup programs to be compatible with recent changes to Windows 10.
  • Fixed removal of Startup programs to be compatible with recent changes to Windows 10.
  • Disabled and removed checkbox for “Allow PLUS info data collection” because recent changes in allowed URL length resulting in no data being returned for customers.
+1 for Scotty

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014

Thanks for the heads up.;)

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.