Status
Not open for further replies.

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition
Overview
Our Free Home Use XG Firewall is a fully equipped software version of the Sophos XG firewall, available at no cost for home users – no strings attached. features full protection for your home network, including anti-malware, web security and URL filtering, application control, IPS, traffic shaping, VPN, reporting and monitoring, and much more.

NOTE: The Sophos XG Free Home Use firewall contains its own operating system and will overwrite all data on the computer during the installation process. Therefore, a separate, dedicated computer is needed, which will change into a fully functional security appliance. Just right for the spare PC you have sitting in the corner!

Features
  • Increase your Internet Bandwidth - You can make easy use of traffic shaping to prioritize application traffic over your internet connection and even subscribe to multiple ISP connections to get more bandwidth or resiliency in the event of an outage with one of them.
  • Monitor and control family web surfing - Use Web Filtering to stop sites from infecting you with viruses and spyware, keep your children from surfing to bad sites, and get full reporting on the activity in your home. Also setup access schedules or usage quotas for family members who may be wasting too much time online.
  • Access your home network from anywhere – Use VPN to access your network remotely from anywhere in the world.
  • Stop Viruses - Dual AV scanning engines stop viruses in file downloads, email attachments, and embedded in web sites. Sophos catches them at the gateway, before they can get in to assault your computers.
  • And a lot more...
What you need
  • Intel compatible computer with dual network interfaces. (Any previous OS or files on the computer will be overwritten when installing the XG Firewall Home Edition)
  • Home Edition is limited to 4 cores and 6 GB of RAM. The computer can have more than this, but XG Firewall Home Edition will not be able to utilize it.
Version
Price
Free

Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition - Free Virus Removal and Security Tools | Conficker, Rootkit and Malware Removal | Sophos - Data Security for Business: Unified Firewall, Cloud Antivirus, Mobile Device, Web Filtering, Email Security, Endpoint Protection, Disk Encryption, VPN Security, Virtual Server, Network Storage and Wireless Network Protection | sophos.com - Cloud Antivirus, Endpoint, UTM, Encryption, Mobile, DLP, Server, Web, Wireless Security, Network Storage and Next-Gen Firewall Solutions | Sophos Data Protection for Business

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
This is a great firewall software! Used it some years back on a 100 Mbit connection and it did not let anything pass that was not supposed to.
Only limitation today I can think of is if they still only allow 50 IP:s, with today's internet frenzy even the washing machine needs a ip ;)

/W

Reactions: frogboy and upnorth
D

Deleted member 178

Anyone has a spare PC ? :D

Having it for free is a good news for security geeks.

Reactions: upnorth
S

Sr. Normal

Anyone has a spare PC ? :D

Having it for free is a good news for security geeks.

At first I thought it was a mistake of my translator,:eek: then it was all my translators, :confused: now I think it's a mistake for Sophos.
In fact I do not know if I can install it in my computer or not. I don´t doubt the quality of Sophos, but it's complicated, I still remember some time ago I wanted to install Av Sophos in Xubuntu, after several attempts, and registers, I installed Comodo :oops:

Reactions: upnorth and frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

you need a clean windows computer i guess, because the OS will be overwritten by Sophos XG own OS.

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
At first I thought it was a mistake of my translator,:eek: then it was all my translators, :confused: now I think it's a mistake for Sophos.
In fact I do not know if I can install it in my computer or not. I don´t doubt the quality of Sophos, but it's complicated, I still remember some time ago I wanted to install Av Sophos in Xubuntu, after several attempts, and registers, I installed Comodo :oops:

This isn't a pure software, this is a linux with Sophos tools, you can download Virtual machine image and test it (I trying to test it, but i can't access to ip -.-), but you need a computer to install this OS + software and transform it to Firewall

Reactions: Sr. Normal

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
yes , too resources-hogging to use a VM for it, better a spare PC.
That's because you don't install it on a typical VM on your computer, you install it on some kind of hypervisor e.g. ESXi, Hyper-V, KVM or whatever floats your boat.

This isn't a pure software, this is a linux with Sophos tools, you can download Virtual machine image and test it (I trying to test it, but i can't access to ip -.-), but you need a computer to install this OS + software and transform it to Firewall
Disable your DHCP server otherwise it won't work reliably.

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal

Thanks. I understand it now :)

Reactions: frogboy

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Might test the software on a proliant server I got my hands on as getting the real hardware like the XG310 in the video is around 3000 bucks but that sweety is normaly for companies unless your an ubergeek with way too much money.

There is still alternatives even for us mortals...XG85 goes for around 300 bucks. That's alot cheaper then many mobilephones and very much plug and play on your network.

Reactions: Sr. Normal and Enju

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
YaNEZuNo.png

Todays price : $233.05! They dropped 62 bucks within a day. Now I'm interested. :D

Reactions: Kuttz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.