jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips. :)

Assessment:
On demand scanners: Add MBAM and Hitman Pro or Emsisoft Emergency Scanner
Operating System: Did you install Service Pack 1 of Windows 7?
Perhaps adding Lastpass (Password Manager) for storing passwords securely and sensitive information.

Sourav

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 6, 2014
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips. :)

Assessment:
On demand scanners: Add MBAM and Hitman Pro or Emsisoft Emergency Scanner
Operating System: Did you install Service Pack 1 of Windows 7?
Perhaps adding Lastpass (Password Manager) for storing passwords securely and sensitive information.
Why you recommend me MBAM or some other security product for On demand scanners,What is the problem with bitdefender ?

Reactions: tonibalas

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As I understand with Total Security, some modules are enabled by default and cannot be deactivated from running on boot, how many additional start-up/services with Bitdefender Total Security?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

JanislovesJesus

Dec 6, 2014
Hey. I thought I filled out the info on my Security Configuration (as best as I knew it), but y'all are still asking for that info. Why is that? Do I still need to give you more/different info? Let me know. I'm really not very knowledgeable about all this stuff -- I just know I need it to keep my computer running optimally. :) So, I'll need y'alls' help. A lot! Thanks. (Does anyone else have the problem of Windows flickering, and then putting a window on the screen saying that the Windows Manager isn't working? How do I get it to go away?) PS Why isn't my picture (charicature) used with my name?

Reactions: tonibalas

JanislovesJesus

Dec 6, 2014
Why you recommend me MBAM or some other security product for On demand scanners,What is the problem with bitdefender ?
Hey. Welcome to the gang!

I had a problem with Bitdefender, but not as a scanner. It wouldn't let my DNS server work. I reinstalled Avira free (which Bitdefender had uninstalled). I did NOT uninstall Bitdefender. Now, my DNS server is working. I think both virus protectors are in effect. There's still a bug or two in this configuration, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it. As for a scanner, my Mama uses AVG free and her scanner works just fine. I don't know what MBAM is. Sounds like something BamBam says to Pebbles! :D

JanislovesJesus

Dec 6, 2014
Agree with @jamescv7 assessment above. Thanks for sharing your config :)
Hey. You're scary! (Leastwise, your picture is. :D ) How'd you and the other moderators/mentors/administrators/etc.s get to be so knowledgeable about all this computer stuff? A waaaay back, I learned Basic, Fortran, Cobol, ... but now, EVERYTHING has changed, and I know nuthink! It's so sad. My sister is a system's analyst and keeps up with everything, but I just can't do it! My computer is maybe five years old and is already obsolete. It doesn't have enough, well, anything. Hah. Rats. But, good on you and the others! And thank y'all for helping me and the others whenever we need it.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
weak, MBAM is a must have for any user of any major AV solution. You can get nasty OpenCandy with no issues while running bitdefender, so there a full scan with MBAM will save you from open cady ez to install ^^.

PD: Welcome to MT ; )

Sourav

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 6, 2014
As I understand with Total Security, some modules are enabled by default and cannot be deactivated from running on boot, how many additional start-up/services with Bitdefender Total Security?
Three is total 4 services and 2 startup items in Bitdefender Total security among which you can disable 2 services and 1 start up if you don't need them.These are Bitdefender Wallet agent in startup and Parental control,safe box in services.

Sourav

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 6, 2014
Hey. Welcome to the gang!

I had a problem with Bitdefender, but not as a scanner. It wouldn't let my DNS server work. I reinstalled Avira free (which Bitdefender had uninstalled). I did NOT uninstall Bitdefender. Now, my DNS server is working. I think both virus protectors are in effect. There's still a bug or two in this configuration, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it. As for a scanner, my Mama uses AVG free and her scanner works just fine. I don't know what MBAM is. Sounds like something BamBam says to Pebbles! :D
It is Malwarebytes anti-malware (MBAM) ,you can try it for free of cost but some features are disabled in free version which you don't needed if you using any antivirus program.
you can download it from "http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam/".
For further I want to inform you that if you get any download interruption during installation of Bitdefender some network commutation problems will arises in my case I can't access internet using my dial up connection ,but after re downloading and re installation my problem was gone .You must use bitdefender product removal tool for you product.

JanislovesJesus

Dec 6, 2014
Hey. I think I'm understanding a bit. Maybe. When y'all talk about starter scanners, you're NOT talking about COPY scanners, are you? Are you talking about, like, a PRE-scan of the computer, to make sure it has no bad things, BEFORE you use your antivirus protector, so the antivirus protector won't get sick? Did I get it right? Do I need one? Hoo-boy! Okay. Talk to me, please. Thanks.
P.S. On my Bitdefender, I never activated the wallet or the parental controls. What else do I have control over? Anything? At all?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
There's no problem with Bitdefender, those are starter scanners in case of any problem arises before use anything else. ;)
I agree, but I've not had MBAM and Hitman Pro on my machine for nearly a 1.5 years. Reason is I never go to any sites I don't trust on my main machine. I tend to do all that via VM.

Reactions: jamescv7

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.