New Update Source viewer/inspector of extension code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Source viewer/inspector of extension code thread.
Motto: 'security-conscious users can check extensions for malicious code before installing them.'

Chrome extension source viewer: Chrome extension source viewer
- offered by Rob W
Version: 1.6
Updated: June 20, 2017
Size: 192KiB

View source code of Chrome extensions, Firefox addons or Opera extensions (crx/nex/xpi) from the Chrome web store and elsewhere.
View the source code of any Chrome extension in the Chrome Web store without installing it.

Features:
- Button at the Chrome Web store
- Download extension as zip file
- View source
- View source:
- File name/type filter
- Search in the file content (literal or regexp)
- Automatic beautification (formatting) of code
- Syntax highlighting
- Show hashes (md5, sha1, sha256, sha384, sha512) of individual files
- Image preview
- View embedded zip files
- View any zip file by URL or file chooser
- View source of platform-specific extensions (such as Chrome OS-only extensions, or NaCl for a different architecture).
- Full support for incognito mode.
- Outputs public key and extension ID to the console.

Optional features (see options page):
- View source of Opera 15+ extensions or Firefox addons.
- "View extension source" contextmenu item on links to Chrome extensions
- View source of Chrome extensions outside the webstore. The View source button becomes visible when you select a CRX file for download.

Source code: GitHub - Rob--W/crxviewer: Add-on / web app to view the source code of Chrome / Firefox / Opera 15 extensions and zip files.
Online demo: CRX Viewer

CRX Inspector (Chrome extension): CRX Inspector
- offered by Juho Nurminen
Version: 0.1.0.9
Updated: September 4, 2014
Size: 46.41KiB

Examine the inner workings of Chrome extensions.
CRX Inspector lets you view the files inside Chrome extensions, apps and themes. With it, developers can easily search through an extension's source code to see how an interesting feature was implemented, and security-conscious users can check extensions for malicious code before installing them.

Now on GitHub: GitHub - jupenur/CRX-Inspector

Extension source viewer Firefox add-on: Extension source viewer – Add-ons for Firefox
- offered by Rob W
View source code of Firefox addons and Chrome extensions (crx/nex/xpi) from addons.mozilla.org, the Chrome Webstore and elsewhere.

- works flawlessly!

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Latest News:
Code Markup Locales Misc (if I click on "View source" button) - these are unticked today in my Chrome extension source viewer - so it works no more... hacked maybe?
And another problem: if I click on "Download as zip" button, my browser is crashing. I had this same problem yesterday....
Have you similar problems today?

EDIT:
Beware of surely very suspicious, two another Chrome extension source viewer extensions on Chrome web store: one by sites.google.com (Updated: November 19, 2015 Size: 183KiB) and another by Lorttexwolf (Updated: September 18, 2017 Size: 46.23MiB !.. - 2 users..).

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
November 28,2017 Today: Chrome extension source viewer problems here:

Network error for hxxps://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx?response=redirect&os=win&arch=x86-32&nacl_arch=x86-32&prod=chromiumcrx&prodchannel=unknown&prodversion=49.0.2623.105&x=id%3Dahnpejopbfnjicblkhclaaefhblgkfpd%26uc

prodversion=49.0.2623.105 - this is my Cent browser chrome version
ahnpejopbfnjicblkhclaaefhblgkfpd - this is ID of ContentBlockHelper

If I click on "Add permission" button and tick two other permissions, it untick this same cases than yesterday: Code, Markup, Locales, Misc.
Extension is NOT working.

But another Chrome extension works good, without problems (links from Post #1 above):
CRX Inspector (Chrome extension): CRX Inspector
- offered by Juho Nurminen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.