Spam from an AV company claiming to be a security patch? It's Zbot/Zeus malware.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Julie Yeates of SophosLabs (thanks Julie!) alerted us earlier today to a spam campaign that seemed to originate from a whole raft of different security and anti-virus companies.

The messages have a variety of subject lines, such as:

Windows Defender: Important System Update -
requires immediate action

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition: Important System Update -

AVG Internet Security 2012: Important System Update -

Kaspersky Anti-Virus: Important System Update -

Microsoft Security Essentials: Important System Update -

The emails are all very similar, claiming to include an important security update to deal with "the new malware circulating over the net".
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/11/21/spam-from-an-anti-virus-company-its-zeus-malware/

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I occasionally see these emails in my spam on Gmail.
They never get to my inbox, Google nails them each time.

If someone is fool enough to click on them then they will get infected.

Thanks. :D

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Littlebits said:
I occasionally see these emails in my spam on Gmail.
They never get to my inbox, Google nails them each time.

If someone is fool enough to click on them then they will get infected.

Thanks. :D
My email client with Spam Assassin screens and filters out this type of email from my inbox. Don't know how many people take that type of precaution, but forewarned is forearmed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.