Pro
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
PC 1: Emsisoft Intenet Security
PC 2: Avast Internet Security
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, Zemana Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro (Trial)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer 11.
Avast Online Security
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Bitlocker and OkayFreedom VPN.
File and Photo backup
OneDrive
System recovery
Windows backup utility

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
desktop.jpg

Other security software: Kaspersky Internet Security (Licence key), Shadow Defender and Secunia PSI.

Backup services and devices: MEGA cloud (50GB), Mediafire (54GB), Google Drive (17GB), OneDrive (115GB), 4Shared (15GB), Lexar P10 USB 3.0 flash drive (32GB), WD My Passport Ultra portable HDD (1TB).

Portable HDD is used for system image backups, programs and personal data. All school work is backed up to OneDrive daily via the client.

Current programs: uTorrent, 7Zip, Kodi, Steam, F.lux, Foxit PDF Reader, ImgBurn, JetBrains Pycharm Edu, Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.1, MiniTool Power Data Recovery (Technician license), Peerblock 1.2, Python 3.5, Skype, Viber, Virtual DJ Pro, WD Drive Utilities & Security and VLC media player and OneDrive client.

Both laptops have UEFI setup with secure boot enabled.

A Sandisk UltraFit 32GB bootable flash drive made with SARDU. It contains:
  • Avira Rescue System
  • Bitdefender
  • Kaspersky KavRescue 10
  • ESET SysRescue Live
  • NT password
  • Trinity Rescue Kit
  • Aomei Backupper
  • Darik's Boot And Nuke
  • gparted AMD64
  • Mint KDE
  • Windows 10 UEFI Installer
All software is current and kept up to date (Software is always being updated which is why I haven't listed any version numbers next to the software I am using).

'Patch Tuesday' (Microsoft releases Windows updates every second Tuesday of every month) and 'Critical Wednesday', all outstanding work is put aside to ensure system is fully patched (The days mentioned don't seem to correspond with the Windows 10 updates pattern however, they're valid estimations).

A seasonal defrag is conducted to keep HDD at optimum level.

The objective is to achieve sound protection with reliable performance.

Both laptops have password-protected BIOS to prevent any modifications to the system or unauthorised access to boot up another system from a USB/Disk to see personal data.

The second laptop currently has a secure Guest account setup with an Admin account for software updating and management which is used for recreational purposes only.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Nice config! I tired Secunia a few weeks ago and found it to be a little buggy of sorts, do you experience anything like that?

Reactions: Logethica and done

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
Nice config! I tired Secunia a few weeks ago and found it to be a little buggy of sorts, do you experience anything like that?
Secunia was buggy? But I followed their articles on how to add their software to the exceptions in AV suites, firewalls and Internet options etc etc and it works fine. It scans automatically, it runs on startup everytime also? Sometimes it may show that a piece of software isn't up to date but a simple manual scan resolves this issue? But regardless of its bugs? It's a must have program. I've used McAfee vulnerability scanner and Kaspersky's scanner, but they don't compare at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Secunia was buggy? But I followed their articles on how to add their software to the exceptions in AV suites, firewalls and Internet options etc etc and it works fine. It scans automatically, it runs on startup everytime also? Sometimes it may show that a piece of software isn't up to date but a simple manual scan resolves this issue? But regardless of its bugs? It's a must have program. I've used McAfee vulnerability scanner (pile of w*nk) and Kaspersky's scanner (meh)? But they don't compare at all. What I may do later on is create a thread for Secunia PSI, how to configure it properly by adding it to exceptions etc etc and so please do keep an eye out for it (Tweak & Secure forum section).
For me it was that Secunia showed me that there was a bunch of programmes that were outdated and that it was updating it, however it took absolutely forever to update. And what's more the updates were not successful and Secunia hanged. I promptly removed Secunia and installed Heimidal Free which updates core system programs like Flash, Java and Quicktime. I found that to be significantly more effective :)

Reactions: Logethica

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
For me it was that Secunia showed me that there was a bunch of programmes that were outdated and that it was updating it, however it took absolutely forever to update. And what's more the updates were not successful and Secunia hanged. I promptly removed Secunia and installed Heimidal Free which updates core system programs like Flash, Java and Quicktime. I found that to be significantly more effective :)

That's fine, any updater can be used as long as it works for the user.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since you're an 'advance' user, so I don't see anything wrong on the configuration. You may explore very well the KIS configuration.

I think you should aware of KIS limitations for Windows 10 where its Application Control and few others are not quite effective and the fix are to enforce on upcoming months.

Again pretty good configuration.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
Since you're an 'advance' user, so I don't see anything wrong on the configuration. You may explore very well the KIS configuration.

I think you should aware of KIS limitations for Windows 10 where its Application Control and few others are not quite effective and the fix are to enforce on upcoming months.

Again pretty good configuration.
I agree with the KIS limitations for Windows 10, Kaspersky are still yet to release fixes and patches. The official launch date for KIS 2016 is September 3rd 2015 in Europe so we shall see how it improves.

Thank you for your verdict on the config.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.