Advice Request Spectre and Meltdown

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Still no microcode for Linux. I think Linus Torvalds got them spooked. They probably want to make sure that they don't get chewed up by him again.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Still no microcode for Linux. I think Linus Torvalds got them spooked. They probably want to make sure that they don't get chewed up by him again.
Not because of that. If they ship it directly to Vendors consumers won't get their hands on testing experience and benchmarks. For now, we need to wait a longer until all fixes are supplied to vendors and subsequently we will get the Linux uCode file slated for public release in the coming months.

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Not because of that. If they ship it directly to Vendors consumers won't get their hands on testing experience and benchmarks. For now, we need to wait a longer until all fixes are supplied to vendors and subsequently we will get the Linux uCode file slated for public release in the coming months.
It's out! I still need to make an account over at notebookreview. I will eventually!
Download Linux* Processor Microcode Data File

Includes Haswell (HSW Cx/Dx 6-3c-3:32 22->24).

2igVabw.png

SuLEKdM.png

Unfortunately the driver does not load fast enough for Windows to notice the microcode and enable full Spectre mitigations. Either that or the new patch no longer needs/uses IBRS and STIPB...

In either case, Microsoft will provide downloadable Intel microcode on a new page as optional updates which can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates

Right now they only offer KB4090007 which cover 6th, 7th & 8th generation Intel CPUs (Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake).

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and upnorth

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
It's out! I still need to make an account over at notebookreview. I will eventually!
Download Linux* Processor Microcode Data File

Includes Haswell (HSW Cx/Dx 6-3c-3:32 22->24).

2igVabw.png

SuLEKdM.png

Unfortunately the driver does not load fast enough for Windows to notice the microcode and enable full Spectre mitigations. Either that or the new patch no longer needs/uses IBRS and STIPB...

In either case, Microsoft will provide downloadable Intel microcode on a new page as optional updates which can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates

Right now they only offer KB4090007 which cover 6th, 7th & 8th generation Intel CPUs (Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake).
Its not needed to create an account at NBR you can download it straightaway. I'll be updating the pack with newer Ryzen and Intel after a week, lets see if there's any bug or problems.

Reactions: DeepWeb
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Just got another BIOS update today. My CPU was patched a few months ago but not really sure what this updates was f.
The last patch was for these two vulernabities.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Just got another BIOS update today. My CPU was patched a few months ago but not really sure what this updates was f.
The last patch was for these two vulernabities.
Check microcode version using hwinfo and google it or use inspectre to check if you're protected or not!

Reactions: Weebarra

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As far as I know, these vulnerabilities have not been responsible for known attacks. Reportedly, they are hard vulnerabilities to capitalize on, and they require special conditions in order to succeed. So I, for one, have decided not to worry myself over them.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You will have to believe me, it's highly classified
:sneaky:
Is that sarcasm or not? Hard to tell

It's common sense. Why attack an individual average PC user with these? What is to be gained? Big forms of attack & their perpetrators prefer big targets. My PC is old enough that it will never be patched and I could care less. Update apps & don't be careless in browsing. Pretty simple.(y)

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Speculative execution which is used pervasively in modern CPUs can leave side effects in the processor caches and other structures even when the speculated instructions do not commit and their direct effect is not visible. The recent Meltdown and Spectre attacks have shown that this behavior can be exploited to expose privileged information to an unprivileged attacker. In particular, the attack forces the speculative execution of a code gadget that will carry out the illegal read, which eventually gets squashed, but which leaves a side-channel trail that can be used by the attacker to infer the value. Several attack variations are possible, allowing arbitrary exposure of the full kernel memory to an unprivileged attacker. In this paper, we introduce a new model (SafeSpec) for supporting speculation in a way that is immune to side-channel leakage necessary for attacks such as Meltdown and Spectre. In particular, SafeSpec stores side effects of speculation in a way that is not visible to the attacker while the instructions are speculative. The speculative state is then either committed to the main CPU structures if the branch commits, or squashed if it does not, making all direct side effects of speculative code invisible. The solution must also address the possibility of a covert channel from speculative instructions to committed instructions before these instructions are committed. We show that SafeSpec prevents all three variants of Spectre and Meltdown, as well as new variants that we introduce. We also develop a cycle accurate model of modified design of an x86-64 processor and show that the performance impact is negligible. We build prototypes of the hardware support in a hardware description language to show that the additional overhead is small. We believe that SafeSpec completely closes this class of attacks, and that it is practical to implement.

SafeSpec: Banishing the Spectre of a Meltdown with Leakage-Free Speculation

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.