Speed matters: How Ethernet went from 3Mbps to 100Gbps… and beyond

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Although watching TV shows from the 1970s suggests otherwise, the era wasn't completely devoid of all things resembling modern communication systems. Sure, the 50Kbps modems that the ARPANET ran on were the size of refrigerators, and the widely used Bell 103 modems only transferred 300 bits per second. But long-distance digital communication was common enough, relative to the number of computers deployed. Terminals could also be hooked up to mainframe and minicomputers over relatively short distances with simple serial lines or with more complex multidrop systems. This was all well known; what was new in the '70s was the local area network (LAN). But how to connect all these machines?

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Who is using Internet booster software? /s
Ooo, I'm interested. Mine could do with a clean...

Edit.
Mmmm, doesn't get very good reviews. Basically a collection of native MacOS utilities reskinned.

Think I'll pass thanks...

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ooo, I'm interested. Mine could do with a clean...

Edit.
Mmmm, doesn't get very good reviews. Basically a collection of native MacOS utilities reskinned.

Think I'll pass thanks...
It was a sarcastic comment to those who use well-marketed software to Speed Up their aging computers. If you use Mac, the URL redirects to macbooster.net, the actual shared URL is iobit.com/en/features-internet-speed-booster--8.php.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am using TCPOptimizer, all settings are well documented. It is more about polishing (prevent lagging, disconnects) rather than increasing speed, though it solved issues for others.
Windows 11 Realtek driver is so great that it randomly switches between 100Mbps and 1000Mbps, even after a clean install without any tweaks used. I get it, it is a though choice.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.