SPEPOPUD.EXE Iobit Virus or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

always_forever

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 1, 2021
Hi all,

Was getting some annoying pop-up ads on my pc and found that ending the SPEPOPUD.EXE process killed them. Then found out that it was an Iobit (uninstaller program) file.

Is this something antivirus should / could have caught or not?

I'm thinking it slipped by due to the fact that I've had that program on my computer for a while but it's still concerning.

Uninstalling the program seems to have alleviated the issue but is it possible the system is still infected?

Any help appreciated!

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
There's some more information at the following link. There's no need to worry, your system was not infected, it's just that recently IObit's products have started using very aggressive advertising in the form of popups. Once you uninstall their products, or even just delete the necessary exe files, the ads will be gone. Hopefully in the future their products will include the option to disable the ads.

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

If you still have problems with this please execute the following.

Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST).
Choose the 32 or 64 bit version for your system.
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Select Click the Attach Files.
Navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file. It will appear in the reply section.
Click the Post Reply button.

Please post the logs for my review.

Let me know what problems persists.

Wait for further instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.