Advice Request Sphere Browser built for privacy

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Sphere Browser

I just started testing it out today, his is a pretty sophisticated privacy browser (not for the novice) it lets you create different identities and switch between them for example, it looks like it is chromium based with everything google gutted from it and uses Tor.

I am testing it on Windows 10 and you don't need to install it, just unzip and launch it, create a password and start testing it.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, just tried it and here're the findings

1) Slow to load browser
2) GUI fonts too small on my MS tablets. Can't read without struggling. Worse than 4K display. Same for webpages unless you zoom in the page. Cannot change font size even if you go to Preferences to edit it. It still defaults to size 16
3) I can see ads on browserleaks.com and other sites
4) Cannot add new search engine like searx.me. Default is DDG plus a few others
5) Not sure how to use TOR since it's showing my IP address when tested at browserleaks.com and whoer.net. Reloading Tor and Change Tor Circuit seem not working. The default TOR control port is 9394
6) Web surfing is not smooth i.e. jerky

Ah.....give up

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Thanks but won't be using it because of other mentioned issues

It seems to be fairly new, and has some bugs like not saving font changes, it is a little slow but for what it is doing that is to be expected.

It does not have anything built in to add extensions but being based on Chromium perhaps it can be forced to load them like Brave browser can be, not sure.

It is obviously not made for normal browsing, and I am still figuring out how to create a proper identity mine keep failing but it is fun to play with.

As for ads, if you use Adguard desktop you can add the Sphere.exe to Adguard and it will run on the Sphere browser.

I was also able to add the Sphere.exe to Hitman Pro Alert using a browser template if you are running this as part of your configuration.

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't trust these obscure browsers "built for privacy" ?

Which is why I run anything like this, and am running it sandboxed in Sandboxie.

Right now it is just a fun toy to play with and I hope the developers stay with it and develop it into something great. With all the censorship and massive data mining from from the big names in Silicon valley we will no doubt need tools like this for protection sooner rather than later.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Which is why I run anything like this, and am running it sandboxed in Sandboxie.

Right now it is just a fun toy to play with and I hope the developers stay with it and develop it into something great. With all the censorship and massive data mining from from the big names in Silicon valley we will no doubt need tools like this for protection sooner rather than later.
Sandboxie + adguard desktop + browser = dream team

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Is this browser compatible with Windows 7?
I tried to run it but i was getting an alert that a dll is missing and i should try to reinstall it.

dev.tenebris

Sep 18, 2018
OK, just tried it and here're the findings

1) Slow to load browser
2) GUI fonts too small on my MS tablets. Can't read without struggling. Worse than 4K display. Same for webpages unless you zoom in the page. Cannot change font size even if you go to Preferences to edit it. It still defaults to size 16
3) I can see ads on browserleaks.com and other sites
4) Cannot add new search engine like searx.me. Default is DDG plus a few others
5) Not sure how to use TOR since it's showing my IP address when tested at browserleaks.com and whoer.net. Reloading Tor and Change Tor Circuit seem not working. The default TOR control port is 9394
6) Web surfing is not smooth i.e. jerky

Ah.....give up
Hello.

1) Slow to load pages, or you mean slow browser initialization?
2) Edit -> Preferences -> Application font size - you can change it here
3) Yes, we don't have embeded adblock etc., maybe will add some later
4) You are not first who asking for custom search engine. Added this to the wishlist.
5) Strange that you have this issue. Maybe it's an antivirus or firewall issue
6) it's not a browser for fast surfing, it's a browser for anonymity surfing - you can have different identity at every tab, with own settings/fingerprints/connection etc.

Is this browser compatible with Windows 7?
I tried to run it but i was getting an alert that a dll is missing and i should try to reinstall it.
Install tools/vcredistx64.exe from application folder.

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
@ tenebris,

The ability to change fonts and font sizes does not work or save changes is this a bug or intent?

I can see that for browser fingerprinting a fixed font and font size for all users might be advantageous is this the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.