SpongeGuard Security config

SpongeGuard

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2012
Hello, new to the forum, not so new to PC security. Looking forward to partaking in a community whose knowledge far surpasses mine. Best way to learn is to learn just how little you really know :)
Anyway, here's my setup. Thanks for browsing, don't judge too harshly. My last malware/virus infection was July 17, 2007. Best way to stay safe online is to be smart about it.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Thanks for sharing. Your config looks solid relying mostly on Bitdefender Total Security.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I don't seem to find anything that needs to be added. Robust config!

Great to see someone who clones their machine, it helps with restoring your system to a previous clean state. That's definitely the core of any security configuration (along with system imaging). :p

Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

1- you should enable UAC

except that all is covered

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As you know what you're doing UAC off is fine, however one opinion: Ghostery becomes obsolete in your config in my opinion.

SpongeGuard

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2012
Wow, it's great entering a thread expecting ridicule and being told that you're doing a good job. I think I'll like it here.
Also, planning on adding Emsisoft Anti-malware to the list if I don't win in the giveaway.
Is it just me or do black hats focus mostly on malware nowadays? Used be about destroying the system, now it's about staying quiet and stealing info.

D

Deleted member 178

Wow, it's great entering a thread expecting ridicule and being told that you're doing a good job. I think I'll like it here.

You will see here the atmosphere is more "open-mind" that the other place you and me know ;)

Also, planning on adding Emsisoft Anti-malware to the list if I don't win in the giveaway.

instead of BD or in addition?

Is it just me or do black hats focus mostly on malware nowadays? Used be about destroying the system, now it's about staying quiet and stealing info.

you are right, now it is mostly stealing banking infos to rob your money. they shifted from "system breakers" to "cyber-thieves"...i miss the good'ol days when you could play "i dare you to break my security setup..." with them.

SpongeGuard

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2012
I hear that, haha. And yeah I'm definitely keeping bit defender alongside EM. BD has been missing quite a few of the recent malware samples I've tested.
In terms of antivirus It seems most are pretty equal nowadays and bitdefender always has a 6 month trial, bwahaha.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

And yeah I'm definitely keeping bit defender alongside EM. BD has been missing quite a few of the recent malware samples I've tested.

the "problem" is that you will use twice the BD engine (one is BD obviously and the same BD engine again in EAM)

SpongeGuard

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2012
the "problem" is that you will use twice the BD engine (one is BD obviously and the same BD engine again in EAM)

Yeah, I totally hear you there, but couldn't that problem be alleviated by simply turning always-on-scanning off on one of them? I won't be doing on-demand scans simultaneously, and I've got enough experience balancing random plugins with sandboxie to be willing to figure it out

I'm all ears for recommendations about a malware suite that runs nicely in tandem with bitdefender though.

D

Deleted member 178

Yeah, I totally hear you there, but couldn't that problem be alleviated by simply turning always-on-scanning off on one of them? I won't be doing on-demand scans simultaneously, and I've got enough experience balancing random plugins with sandboxie to be willing to figure it out

indeed , turning one of the real-time scanning would do the trick but it is really what you need?
Another issue you may not notice is the database size, BD signature are big so twice BD , Twice the size :D

I'm all ears for recommendations about a malware suite that runs nicely in tandem with bitdefender though.

i heard some good feedbacks from Zemana-Antimalware Premium as companion AV.
Also Webroot SA is the "best" companion possible since it is designed for it.

The question is "does BD let them install?" :p

SpongeGuard

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2012
indeed , turning one of the real-time scanning would do the trick but it is really what you need?
Another issue you may not notice is the database size, BD signature are big so twice BD , Twice the size :D

i heard some good feedbacks from Zemana-Antimalware Premium as companion AV.
Also Webroot SA is the "best" companion possible since it is designed for it.

The question is "does BD let them install?" :p

Haha yeah, I hear that. It just so happens that I have a zemana premium code from some ancient giveaway. I'll give it a shot. Also no worries about the signature size. If my island sank I could build a raft out of hard drives and xboxes and float to safety.
Thanks again, great warm welcoming to the forum.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Emsisoft AM used to be able to be used as a companion AV, but now they say there may be conflicts, it is designed to be standalone...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very good configuration out there.

Problematic on current BD's performance? Then you may add official companion based like Voodoshield/SecureAplus or Crystal Security in that case at least many engines are included for cloud reference hence optimum performance alongside of strong user input concept as Anti-exe or whitelist.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.