SpyShelter Free not working in XP SP3 partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
I just installed SpyShelter Free on my XP partition and as I used the SpyShelter Anti-Test Tool I was surprised that what I type is not encrypted! Kindly see images attached.

upload

photo hosting sites

I was also able to get a screenshot of the 'Protection tab' of the SpyShelter gui. See image below.

upload pictures

Am I doing anything wrong here...I was using Keyscrambler before but just had an inkling to try this one out. This is shocking to me.

Is there anything I can do to adjust some settings so what I type is encrypted..I mean te test tool says the same as what I type, even the login name and password here in MalwareTips! See below.

picture sharing

Please see images using Keyscrambler Pro on the other partition and pc.

upload photo

online photo storage

This partition has only Avira Internet Security 2012 and SpyShelter is excluded.

Help :(

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Because SS works different way.
It asks you to block or allow suspicous actions like keylogging or screenlogging.
If you allowed test app to grab your keystrokes then it can do it.
SpyShelter doesn't encrypt keystrokes - it prevent apps to do such actions.
If you block keylogging action from test tool, then you should see this:
RrOVD.png

Decision is always up to you.
SpyShelter is more user dependent tool.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Because SS works different way.
It asks you to block or allow suspicous actions like keylogging or screenlogging.
If you allowed test app to grab your keystrokes then it can do it.
SpyShelter doesn't encrypt keystrokes - it prevent apps to do such actions.
If you block keylogging action from test tool, then you should see this:
[Image: RrOVD.png]
Decision is always up to you.
SpyShelter is more user dependent tool.

@pablozi,

Thanks for reply.

I do not remember anything that asked me to allow the Anti-Test tool so there was no "allow" given. I just double-clicked it and it launched. Clicked 'Start test' and nothing more. The other partition with Outpost Pro gave a pop-up asking me to about the Anti-Test Tool. I allowed that so I can test KS Pro. So as with FastStone Screen Capture. The XP partition has Avira IS 2012 but no pop-ups neither did the HIPS component of SpyShelter. If ever SpyShelter popped-up asking me to allow/block the Anti-Test tool well naturally I will allow it because I wanna test SpyShelter with the Anti-Test Tool.

So how can I effectively test SpyShelter if it blocks keylogging? How should I test it?

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
@Raul90

First of all please remove AntiTest.exe from your PC.
Then run rules cleanup in SpyShelter:
uNKW8.png

It will cleanup all the unused rules for non existing apps.
I don't know what are your security settings.
Mine are:
d4SyL.png

Download test tool from SpyShelter's site and run it.
And when I try to run test tool then I get this popup:
vM66T.png

You should just click "Deny" and test tool can not set a hook and you're safe ;)
That's all.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
@pablozi,

Ok. I did all of that and got what you posted in the first reply. It did not set a hook. The Anti-Test Tool now will not run.

So how can I determine if SpyShelter is protecting my keystrokes or protecting me from antikeyloogers? What can use to test if SpyShelter is doing it's job?

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
If SS blocked hook setting then you are protected. SS does more HIPS-like job.
If you need tool for encrypting the keystrokes, then you shoul pay attention to KeyScrambler or Zemana Free.

D

Deleted member 178

Ss doesnt crypt your keystrokes like Keyscrambler or Zemana Free, it detects and prevent most keyloggers to be installed on your system.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
rebel4life said:
how good is their firewall

It provides two-way network traffic filtering, but it is not so powerful as Outpost.
SSFW is easy to use and really light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.