BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
mxGHcwQ.png

The king is dead. Long live the king. According to our early test results, Intel's just-announced Optane SSD 905P SSD (960GB) is the fastest storage device by a wide margin. The $1,299, 960GB HHHL add-in card dominated other top-performers such as the Samsung 970 EVO (1TB) and Intel's own Optane 900P drive.

For example, when we ran PCMark 8, the Optane 905P was 11 percent faster than its next closest competitor, the Optane 900P (480GB) and more than 300 percent quicker than the Samsung 970 EVO(1TB).

zINPYX0.png

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Do you actually feel a difference in performance with these new types of SSDs?
I read that in most situations, you won't see much of a difference.

Reactions: Weebarra

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Do you actually feel a difference in performance with these new types of SSDs?
I read that in most situations, you won't see much of a difference.
Most stuff you do every day doesn't require more access to amount than SATA III limits are (500-600MB). This toys are mainly made for workstations where the time is money and pushed to the consumer section afterward.

So, yes you feel the difference if you write or transfer huge data all the time. In video editing, video acquiring or dumping.
No, in Windows boot time, game loads, increased FPS, execution of programs...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Err.. All of my systems have NVME drives and they average 3200MB/s Read and 2100MB/s Write.

These aren't really any faster and I have had mine for a year or two now.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
aren't Optane drives made for caching and speeding up systems with lower read/write speeds?
i wouldn't compare read/write speeds of this with like a Samsung EVO, cause the EVO is clearly for different porpuse and makes way more sense than buying this.
wasnt this made for servers?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
aren't Optane drives made for caching and speeding up systems with lower read/write speeds?
i wouldn't compare read/write speeds of this with like a Samsung EVO, cause the EVO is clearly for different porpuse and makes way more sense than buying this.
wasnt this made for servers?
Yes, those came out first
Intel® Optane™ Memory Series 32GB M.2 80mm
and are used for supplementing HDDs with fast cashing, not as fast as regular SATA SSD, but speedier than Hybrid HDD

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.