Starchilds Protective Shields win 8.1 2013

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
RE: starchilds Bulletproof Vest windows 8 Final ( 12-07-2012 )

It is Defensewall ,i think you already tested it.I leave sandboxie for somedays to try it.

S

starchild76

Thread author

thanks earth and malwarevirus for your comments ;) I did not test shadowdefender , sice I have a 64 bit operating system and this program only works on 32 bit systems.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012

"I did not test shadowdefender , sice I have a 64 bit operating system and this program only works on 32 bit systems. "

64 bit is available

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5638-shadow-defender.html

S

starchild76

Thread author

Removed AVG Internet Security and AVG Pctuneup , reason : Made computer slow like a snail ( boottime ).
now protected by standard windows defences.
added Wisecare 365 Free and Puran Defrag

S

starchild76

Thread author

Now having Eset Smart Security 7 protecting my system , thanks to the kindness of MalwareTips in letting me win a one year license :)

S

starchild76

Thread author

small update : added filehippo update checker next to secunia psi , because psi seems to not find all of the nessecay program updates.

S

starchild76

Thread author
another small update : Mozilla Firefox as secondary browser ( deactivated Internet Explorer ) ad onns :

* Bitdefender Trafficlight
* Adblock Plus ( and Popunder Blocker )
* Ghostery
* Lastpass

any other suggestions for Firefox addons and for my config are wlecome :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Secunia PSI appears to more focussed on the more vulnerable programs than say a product like qBittorrent. Some programs may have a built-in update check and download, so that's sometimes more useful than the third-party offering.

Deactivated IE, meaning uninstalled it from Windows Features? Or just avoiding it?

S

starchild76

Thread author
earth I like my startup as clean as possible so this means I don't let acrobat reader , chrome or any other program check for updates automatically , psi does start automatically but like you stated , it only checks for the most vital updates / patches. regarding I.E. I have disabled it :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I meant the programs that check for updates on launch, a good example, HitmanPro.

For Adobe Reader (Free), you can replace it with Adobe Reader Touch (Windows Store). It basically provides the same functionality, without the need for a start up item or large updates.

S

starchild76

Thread author
After having Eset Smart Security installed on my machine , I can say its running a little to heavy on my machine , it did affect the whole performance and speed , so I am back with Windows Defender accompanied with Zonealarm Free Firewall , which seems to play nicely together for now...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.