Troubleshoot Startup for laptop seems slow

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Slow startup after signing onto account on windows. Laptop is only 5 months old so it shouldn't have any slow problems... had some small infections before but they were removed
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran malwarebytes, avast and malwarebytes rootkit to scan for infections. Posted on the malware forum and they found no malware and told me to come here.
HKLM\...\Run: [] => [X]
HKLM\...\Run: [ETDCtrl] => C:\Program Files\Elantech\ETDCtrl.exe [3244360 2014-03-04] (ELAN Microelectronics Corp.)
HKLM\...\Run: [TCrdMain] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\FlashCards\TCrdMain.exe [2853968 2014-02-25] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [TPwrMain] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TPwrMain.EXE [595840 2012-03-02] ()
HKLM\...\Run: [BatteryManager] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TBatmgrTrayIcon.exe [287104 2014-04-16] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [Teco] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TECO\Teco.exe [1604168 2013-11-26] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [TosSENotify] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert\TosWaitSrv.exe [711040 2013-08-21] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [TosVolRegulator] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TosVolRegulator\TosVolRegulator.exe [24376 2009-11-11] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [USB3MON] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe [292088 2013-09-17] (Intel Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [SVPWUTIL] => C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Utilities\SVPWUTIL.exe [1957888 2014-03-18] (TOSHIBA CORPORATION)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [HWSetup] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Utilities\HWSetup.exe [423936 2011-03-10] (TOSHIBA Electronics, Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [KeNotify] => C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Utilities\KeNotify.exe [34160 2010-08-16] (TOSHIBA CORPORATION)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [ToshibaServiceStation] => C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Service Station\ToshibaServiceStation.exe [1298816 2011-07-11] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [ToshibaAppPlace] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Toshiba App Place\ToshibaAppPlace.exe [552960 2010-09-23] (Toshiba)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [APSDaemon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe [60712 2014-10-11] (Apple Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [AvastUI.exe] => C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe [5227112 2014-12-12] (AVAST Software)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [iTunesHelper] => C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe [157480 2014-10-15] (Apple Inc.)
Winlogon\Notify\igfxcui: C:\windows\system32\igfxdev.dll (Intel Corporation)
HKU\S-1-5-21-1104730742-3520406669-1452143769-1000\...\Run: [Facebook Update] => C:\Users\Fionne\AppData\Local\Facebook\Update\FacebookUpdate.exe [138096 2014-07-30] (Facebook Inc.)
HKU\S-1-5-21-1104730742-3520406669-1452143769-1000\...\Run: [CCleaner Monitoring] => C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe [7394584 2014-12-12] (Piriform Ltd)
HKU\S-1-5-21-1104730742-3520406669-1452143769-1000\...\MountPoints2: {49e6f7c0-183a-11e4-8946-f8a9637e7101} - E:\iStudio.exe
Startup: C:\Users\Fionne\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Send to OneNote.lnk
ShortcutTarget: Send to OneNote.lnk -> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\ONENOTEM.EXE (Microsoft Corporation)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers: [00avast] -> {472083B0-C522-11CF-8763-00608CC02F24} => C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ashShA64.dll (AVAST Software)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers-x32: [ SkyDrivePro1 (ErrorConflict)] -> {8BA85C75-763B-4103-94EB-9470F12FE0F7} => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\GROOVEEX.DLL (Microsoft Corporation)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers-x32: [ SkyDrivePro2 (SyncInProgress)] -> {CD55129A-B1A1-438E-A425-CEBC7DC684EE} => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\GROOVEEX.DLL (Microsoft Corporation)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers-x32: [ SkyDrivePro3 (InSync)] -> {E768CD3B-BDDC-436D-9C13-E1B39CA257B1} => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\GROOVEEX.DLL (Microsoft Corporation)

That's my startup

Last edited by a moderator:

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i'm not sure about the Toshiba things but on my HP pc thats about 2 years old i turned off the all HP Support Assistant stuff
that gives me updates from HP because after i got them all they did not offer no more updates so after about a few months
i disabled it

i can still start it when i want to check for updates from HP but they have not offered none in 2 years but a BIOS update
about a year after i got this pc so for me it made since to not have it running for nothing when i can check when i want
to

if you do not use or need Microsoft Office 2013 you can uninstall it my pc came with a trial of it and i uninstalled it
before it was installed knowing i would never use it

How to uninstall Office 2013 or Office 365
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

if you are unsure about the startup things you can you can look in the processes part of the Task manager for the Toshiba
processes and search them here

Startup Programs Database
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

also i see you use iTunes

iTunes is very well known for making computers startup very slow after installing it

:)

James

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
They are not necessary for me to have them start up. Yes you will have to manually start them after each restart.
To me that is no big deal. I'm never in a big hurry for my Toshiba lap top to start windows. Some times it starts fairly fast.
Other times it's rather slow. Especially restarting after windows up dates. What are you calling slow??
I'll restart and time my Toshiba and reply later. My lap top is over 3 years old. I never shut my PC down unless I'm not going to use it for 24 hours or longer. There are different opinions about that. It's my choice and works for me!!
Be back after I restart and edit this reply!;)
PS Malwarebytes says no unnecessary start ups. That's good!

well, after i log onto my window's account it would saying logging in and that's when it's slow. you know the sound that plays when you first log into windows? well that sound happens after everything is loaded and i feel that it's lagging. isn't it bad to not shut down your PC? does your laptop seem slower now? btw what are the purposes of the toshiba programs? i'm not sure what they do.
do you use eco mode or balanced mode for your power? sorry for the excessive questions! i don't know anyone else with a toshiba :(

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
i'm not sure about the Toshiba things but on my HP pc thats about 2 years old i turned off the all HP Support Assistant stuff
that gives me updates from HP because after i got them all they did not offer no more updates so after about a few months
i disabled it

i can still start it when i want to check for updates from HP but they have not offered none in 2 years but a BIOS update
about a year after i got this pc so for me it made since to not have it running for nothing when i can check when i want
to

if you do not use or need Microsoft Office 2013 you can uninstall it my pc came with a trial of it and i uninstalled it
before it was installed knowing i would never use it

How to uninstall Office 2013 or Office 365
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

if you are unsure about the startup things you can you can look in the processes part of the Task manager for the Toshiba
processes and search them here

Startup Programs Database
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

also i see you use iTunes

iTunes is very well known for making computers startup very slow after installing it

:)

James

i actually do use microsoft office but not all of it's components. thanks for suggesting to remove itunes from startup. i did it and i'll see if it's any faster later.:)

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Sorry for the delay. I just experienced some problems while shutting down my PC. It went into loop repair boot mode. That's one good reason I never shut my PC down. I had to restore my PC with a back up image. It took 14.51 minutes and I'm back up and running perfectly.
Damn that was scary. Good old Macrium Reflect. Saved me once again. I have no idea at this time what went wrong when I shut down. Will try to find out later as dump files were created. Not sure what my start up time is. I think about 45 seconds before every thing is loaded.
Will check later. Here's a link about shut down. You will have to make your own decision.;)
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm
PS Some times shutting down your computer while it's running will corrupt the OS. I'm thinking that's what happened because after restoring a back up image,my PC is working perfectly again. I really hate computers some times. I think I use balanced mode for power. There are many purposes for the Toshiba programs. You will just have to click on them and see what they all do. It would take me for ever to explain each one.;)
I hope I have answered all your questions, if not please ask again.

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hi! Sorry for the delay. I just experienced some problems while shutting down my PC. It went into loop repair boot mode. That's one good reason I never shut my PC down. I had to restore my PC with a back up image. It took 14.51 minutes and I'm back up and running perfectly.
Damn that was scary. Good old Macrium Reflect. Saved me once again. I have no idea at this time what went wrong when I shut down. Will try to find out later as dump files were created. Not sure what my start up time is. I think about 45 seconds before every thing is loaded.
Will check later. Here's a link about shut down. You will have to make your own decision.;)
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm
PS Some times shutting down your computer while it's running will corrupt the OS. I'm thinking that's what happened because after restoring a back up image,my PC is working perfectly again. I really hate computers some times. I think I use balanced mode for power. There are many purposes for the Toshiba programs. You will just have to click on them and see what they all do. It would take me for ever to explain each one.;)
I hope I have answered all your questions, if not please ask again.

you all seem so intelligent with tech things... i'm so prone to viruses so computers always scare me. i think i'll leave my laptop off since leaving it on scares the heck out of me.. my action center always has a "insert removable media" message. should i do it?

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Uncheck windows back up if you're not using that feature. The message should go away!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi A little off topic! here's the reason my PC would not start windows after shut down. After restoring the Macrium image. Windows up dated and restored the Lan driver for me on reboot and every thing is once again perfect.
Thanks Macrium!

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
On Mon 12/29/2014 6:07:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\122914-30841-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: rtl8192cu.sys (0xFFFFF88002AC576A)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x3C8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002AC576A)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\rtl8192cu.sys
product: Realtek RTL8192C Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
company: Realtek Semiconductor Corporation
description: Realtek RTL8192C USB NDIS Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: rtl8192cu.sys (Realtek RTL8192C USB NDIS Driver, Realtek Semiconductor Corporation ).
Google query: Realtek Semiconductor Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Here's the bottom line. I wanted to see how much time it takes to shut down my PC and then boot back into windows. As I stated, I never shut down my PC. Having said that. I decided to shut down so I could report to the OP how much time it took. My PC Blue Screened and went into the repair boot loop mode. I had to use a Macrium image to get my PC to boot windows. I learned a lot from this experience, as you will see if you read all my replies. My PC is back up and running perfect so it wasn't a lost cause, but I may not shut down again for awhile;)
I hope I have helped all who read this thread and especially the OP @Fiona
Happy computing everyone. MT is a great place to learn and pass forward things you have learned.

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks for helping my friend. Very good link you posted.;) It's really nice to have team work here on MT
Thanks Jim!

very grateful for you two! what does backuping do though? is it necessary?

Hi! Here's the bottom line. I wanted to see how much time it takes to shut down my PC and then boot back into windows. As I stated, I never shut down my PC. Having said that. I decided to shut down so I could report to the OP how much time it took. My PC Blue Screened and went into the repair boot loop mode. I had to use a Macrium image to get my PC to boot windows. I learned a lot from this experience, as you will see if you read all my replies. My PC is back up and running perfect so it wasn't a lost cause, but I may not shut down again for awhile;)
I hope I have helped all who read this thread and especially the OP @Fiona
Happy computing everyone. MT is a great place to learn and pass forward things you have learned.

i'm not sure why your PC had that problem though... is it because you never normally shut it down?

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I hardly ever shut down. All I know is what the crash dump told me as seen in previous reply above. It seemed to Blue Screened because of Realtek RTL8192C Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Once it reinstalled that driver and after restoring a Macrium image, every thing is back up and running great! Having a back up image is best thing to recovery from windows disasters. A back up image has saved me from a total disaster more times than I can count on both hands
Yes it is necessary to make a back up image of your OS on a regular basis;)

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
and is having three of those intel common user interfaces necessary?

what about the micosoft windows one?

Hi! I hardly ever shut down. All I know is what the crash dump told me as seen in previous reply above. It seemed to Blue Screened because of Realtek RTL8192C Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Once it reinstalled that driver and after restoring a Macrium image, every thing is back up and running great! Having a back up image is best thing to recovery from windows disasters. A back up image has saved me from a total disaster more times than I can count on both hands
Yes it is necessary to make a back up image of your OS on a regular basis;)

what's a backup image?

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi here's a image of my OS on the left and my operating (C) on the right. They are identical!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
hey! @donetao , i may have turned off the startup of some things that i shouldn't have. :( my mouse touchpad won't work at startup (just the cool stuff like scrolling, zooming etc) how can i turn it back on?

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
hey! @donetao , i may have turned off the startup of some things that i shouldn't have. :( my mouse touchpad won't work at startup (just the cool stuff like scrolling, zooming etc) how can i turn it back on?
Hi! That's interesting. I'm not aware of disabling start ups affecting the touch pad. I think you should start a new thread about touch pad issues. Does it work after awhile. I have had problems with my Toshiba touch pad. I up dated the drivers and now it works just fine.
I'll have to think about that.

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
You could try this. Turn computer off. Remove all attachments and the battery. Press power button for 15 seconds. Replace power connection and battery. Start Computer and press F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get into Setup. Press F9 to reset defaults. Press F10 to save changes and exit and answer yes to complete. Computer will restart.

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I would open CCleaner back up and go to Tools/Startup. There it's easy to disable things. Toshiba really lays it on thick, and most of their stuff can be unchecked. I usually leave about 6-8 things checked: the touchpad, Intel's Persistence if it's there, MS's cfmon, and a few others. I recommend being a little cautious and unchecking a little at a time. (And I also turn off all of CCleaner's new monitoring function in CC itself.)

In addition to a disk defrag, optimizing is good. I recommend Auslogics Free Defrag. Its "defrag and optimize" function will move system files toward the fast part of the drive. Doing this weekly is good. At Settings / Alogrithms check all four boxes.

Another thing that can be slowing you down is MSE. I've stopped using it because it thinks nothing of taking 50% of the CPU for extended periods, and even will hang out around 90% when it feels like it. I've found Panda Free AV to be very good and very light. Once it's installed I then turn off Windows Defender, even on Win7, since you shouldn't have more than one live scanner.

One last thing I do on my desktop, which is absolutely loaded with progs, is use Startup Delayer. It's freeware that lets you delay non-essential progs so you can get up and running faster.

Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.